• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Vibrations

BoBDoG2o02

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some really bad vibrations....

Long story short, i did a burn out, Broke the exhaust hanger @ the crossmember. Fixed that. Still have some vibrations. I have a NP231 transfer case.

Here's the question. If your jeep is in 2HI can you turn the front driveshaft with your hands? I'm thinking the front hubs are somehow engaged and causing the double cardon in the front to spin while i drive, which probably has bad universals....

Help?

The driveshaft always spins in 2Hi. If your driveshaft is not attached at the axle end then you can spin it while it is still connected to the tcase. You may have toasted your rubber transmission mount. Make sure all of the crossmember bolts are snug and inspect the engine and transmission mounts. This damage could have gone beyond that though....

sooooo, i had the jeep on a lift yesterday and got to see the driveshaft whil the jeep was running. The rear drivsahft its moving up and down alot at the slip yoke. The transfer case was even bouncing up and down a good 3/4 inch. I replaced both universals just for good measure and nothing changed. I have a 3" lift on this rig and think i may need a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit. I have heard, the have doubts, that it may be possible to eliminate the issue by putting spacers between the frame and the crossmember. Has anyone done this? How think of spacers would we be talking?

If the transfer case is moving around your trans mount is FUBAR.

check the nut on that holds the yoke coming out of the rear diff, I had that slip on me last summer. Caused vibration, changed a u joint still did it. it got so bad that the pinion gear would slip into the diff and grab the ring gear carrier and cause the jeep to stop when rolling to stop lights. I went and bought a second vehicle just to get to work. I thought it was the gears inside the diff chewing up. when I finally got under it I felt like an idiot because it was just a loose nut.

unless you have a disconnect on your front axle your front drive shaft is positively connected to your front axle and cannot turn unless the axle is turning, the 2wd action is in the transfer case.

unless of course you have the older style vacuum disconnect.

unless you have a disconnect on your front axle your front drive shaft is positively connected to your front axle and cannot turn unless the axle is turning, the 2wd action is in the transfer case.

unless of course you have the older style vacuum disconnect.

Thank you - You nailed my questions

Wellllll,

I figured it out today, bent the Slip Yoke Output shaft that the driveshaft slides onto. It looks like almost 1/4" of runout with the truck in 5th gear and no driveshaft attached..

Looks like the SYE is in my future......

Back