• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ 4.0 No Start

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the store today and came out to start my rig up and it didn't start. Here are the symptoms:
Turned key and starter doesn't engage. Tried the "NSS fix" by putting it in neutral,etc....no start.
The key turned further than it usually does to get to the "run position". For example; the off position is zero, the run (lights and gauges) position is one, and the start position is two. I have to go to position two to get the one position, but I can't go further to start it.

Could this be the ignition switch malfunction or can it be the key cylinder malfunction? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

I just want to add, that I had to turn it all the way to the start position in order to switch the gears to neutral so it can be towed. My XJ is an automatic transmission.

Update; I just got it to start by pressing pretty hard toward the steering wheel while turning the key. I did this twice and it worked both times. I know this won't work forever and with an upcoming trip to Florida and Georgia on Tuesday, I need to get this squared away. Is the best money on the lock cylinder or should I replace the ignition switch and the lock cylinder while I am in there?

"Starter doesn't engage"--define.

Starter runs but won't "engage" with the flexplate or starter doesn't function at all?

Update; I just got it to start by pressing pretty hard toward the steering wheel while turning the key. I did this twice and it worked both times. I know this won't work forever and with an upcoming trip to Florida and Georgia on Tuesday, I need to get this squared away. Is the best money on the lock cylinder or should I replace the ignition switch and the lock cylinder while I am in there?

I think you should replace the ignition switch--not the key lock cylinder--in the steering column, however, if the key lock itself is worn you made need to replace both.

"Starter doesn't engage"--define.

Starter runs but won't "engage" with the flexplate or starter doesn't function at all?

Thanks for your reply. It didn't engage at all but we posted at pretty much the same time, I had to really put inward pressure on the key while turning it and it started, it also engaged in the "ON" position at the right place and then went to the start position.

I think you should replace the ignition switch--not the key lock cylinder--in the steering column, however, if the key lock itself is worn you made need to replace both.

Thank you very much! I guess i will have to open it up and see what's broken and worn. The key got stuck at one point, so all of my action was "outward" instead of inward. I wish I would have tried that and saved the time. I'm definitely not going on a cross country trip with it working and not working the way it is now. It could have been more serious and much further than 1 mile away from home when it happened. :)

Glad you worked it out.

Back