• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator u

i973eat1

NAXJA Forum User
From what I have heard XJs had weak alternators from the factory, (Just enough to power the whole jeep). I have heard that you can replace the alternator with a different year/ model Jeep and it will work the same, but cant seem to find which year/models that are a direct replacement, but have higher outputs.

Which ones would work?
BTW... My XJ is a 99' 4.0.

Your 1999 should have a 117A alternator - which isn't bad.

I have posted donor lists on JeepForum, CherokeeForum, and CherokeeTalk for potential donors up to 160A.

Don't forget to upgrade your wiring! The wiring used is a lot closer to "borderline" than the alternator itself...

Note that upgrading to either a 136A or a 160A unit will require grinding the mounting area for clearance to fit the larger case.

Can also get your current alternator rewound by a good local rebuilder. Usually runs about 1$/amp

Here is another Option for you:

Nippondenso part #: DN13341NA200

It is 200 Amp rated unit. Mine produces a solid 190 Amps. For fusing, I installed a 200 Amp fuse at the front of the PDC along with a replacement wire from the Alternator to the fuse. There is a thread, somewhere here, that documents the installation of the fuse.

Wish I could find someone local to have this done... and not worry about modifying my brackets on my '01...

A quick search of the Tulsa yellow pages shows at least one place that might do that work for you: Shorty's Auto Electric on E. Apache.

You can also check with local auto repair shops and ask if their is a starter/alternator repair in the area.

Last edited:
I replaced mine with a 136 amp model intended for a 1998 Grand V8.

Pretty easy swap. I used a $10 angle grinder allow it to slip into the two piece mount on my '96 XJ. If you want more into on the swap, let me know.

Your 1999 should have a 117A alternator - which isn't bad.

I have posted donor lists on JeepForum, CherokeeForum, and CherokeeTalk for potential donors up to 160A.

Don't forget to upgrade your wiring! The wiring used is a lot closer to "borderline" than the alternator itself...

Note that upgrading to either a 136A or a 160A unit will require grinding the mounting area for clearance to fit the larger case.

I never had a problem with the alternator not being strong enough until I replaced the engine in it. Thanks for reminding me to upgrade the wiring, I almost forgot about that!

Can also get your current alternator rewound by a good local rebuilder. Usually runs about 1$/amp

I dont think that there is any alternator rebuilders around my area (St. Louis, MO) I havent really looked into it though.

It is 200 Amp rated unit. Mine produces a solid 190 Amps. For fusing, I installed a 200 Amp fuse at the front of the PDC along with a replacement wire from the Alternator to the fuse. There is a thread, somewhere here, that documents the installation of the fuse.

Thanks! Ill Look into that alternator!

I replaced mine with a 136 amp model intended for a 1998 Grand V8.

Pretty easy swap. I used a $10 angle grinder allow it to slip into the two piece mount on my '96 XJ. If you want more into on the swap, let me know.

This might be what I end up doing. I have heard that the Grand Cherokees have a bigger alternator to run all the "Luxuries" from the factory

There is also a 160 Amp unit that is the same size as the 136 that will work (it's what I installed). Got mine from a Durango. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding a part number at the moment, I'll look when I get home.

Interesting I used the 160 Amp Durango one whenever it fails I will likely jump up to this one ..
Once everything was clearanced for the bigger body of the Alt my Durango one plugged right in .

Was there any extra work for the 200 amp one ?

I dont think that there is any alternator rebuilders around my area (St. Louis, MO) I havent really looked into it though.

Forgot their name but when I was looking into it I found a shop here in STL.

However iirc the late models (not sure if its all 97+) All have the Denso alternators that are Externally regulated and can not be rewound for more amps.

However iirc the late models (not sure if its all 97+) All have the Denso alternators that are Externally regulated and can not be rewound for more amps.

External or internal regulation doesn't affect the amperage, it just controls charging/not-charging.

Amperage is solely the provenance of the alternator's ability to put out power.

Isn't all Denso alternators externally regulated,...via the PCM/ECM on all Chrysler products?

I have heard of people using an old style external regulator to control their Denso instead of the ECM.

Many AC Delco alternators of the past have internal regulators. They have no external regulators of any sort what so ever.

External or internal regulation doesn't affect the amperage, it just controls charging/not-charging.

Amperage is solely the provenance of the alternator's ability to put out power.

Right I wasn't clear on that I did Not mean that was why they could not be rewound for higher amp .

just that they happened to be externally regulated and also I was told they could not be rewound for more amps .

Is that correct ?
I don't want to learn or spread bad info.

Isn't all Denso alternators externally regulated,...via the PCM/ECM on all Chrysler products?

I have heard of people using an old style external regulator to control their Denso instead of the ECM.

Many AC Delco alternators of the past have internal regulators. They have no external regulators of any sort what so ever.

is there any advantage to ditching the externally regulated ones ?

Last edited:
You can have various amperage output alternators in your vehicle, internally or externally regulated.

The PCM or external regulators, or the internal regulators, don't care what amperage the alternator will produce.

Take any XJ, throw a stereo system in it, 500 HID lights, a 15,000 lb winch, and turn everything on at the same time--if you have the amperage, everything will still work--provided it is wired correctly--and you can have a blast.

Essentially with the engine running the voltage will be between 13.5 and 15.5 volts and the alternator will provide the power to operate the engine and run all the accessories you want, as long as the load doesn't exceed the amperage output of the alternator or the capability of a circuit to carry the load, then all will be good.

I have a 1998 cherokee 4.0 inline. I just put in a 136 amp alternator. My wiring is pretty heavy already, stock of course. From the alternator to the fuse block under the hood i am getting a .25 voltage drop, i am getting 13.6 at an idle with everything on at the alternator, but the ecm is only showing 13 according to a scan tool. the wire off the alternator is only roughly a 6 or 8 gauge. is that what needs to be changed, or all of it, and if so, what gauge should i run? the main cables look like 4 gauge already. I have already upgraded 2 grounds to the body, and one of those to is to the engine to the body.

I have a 1998 cherokee 4.0 inline. I just put in a 136 amp alternator. My wiring is pretty heavy already, stock of course. From the alternator to the fuse block under the hood i am getting a .25 voltage drop, i am getting 13.6 at an idle with everything on at the alternator, but the ecm is only showing 13 according to a scan tool. the wire off the alternator is only roughly a 6 or 8 gauge. is that what needs to be changed, or all of it, and if so, what gauge should i run? the main cables look like 4 gauge already. I have already upgraded 2 grounds to the body, and one of those to is to the engine to the body.

Here is some good info:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Power_Cables.html

And 5-90 is a great resource.

Delco SI, CS, AD, &c - internally regulated.

IIRC, the earlier Delco DN series is externally regulated, but those haven't been used in years (as I recall, they were the first generation of Delco alternators, replacing the old 12V generators.)

Back