• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking on medium-hard acceleration when cold

Nathyne

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I seem to have a ticking noise coming from the drivetrain somewhere seems like it is under the jeep but only when cold and only when i do not accelerate easy. Any ideas? its an 89 with the aw-4 u joints seem good just changed the oil and filter in tranny and it was spotless.

I also seem to have hard starts as well kind of sputters to life then idles fine. I have replaced:

spark plugs
wires
cap
rotor
cps
cleaned grounds
added two grounds from the intake manifold to firewall and from the negative terminal to chassis.

Just picked this jeep up and everything I have done has helped as it used to have to crank forever to start but it does still take an abnormally long time (4-5 seconds most times sometimes more). Cleaned the IAC as well maybe I should replace it? also would an old o2 sensor cause it maybe? May just go through and replace all this stuff as previous maintenance is a mystery to me.

Thanks for the help!

Nathyne

That ticking might just be a light lifter clatter.

How many miles? What brand/weight of oil and what brand oil filter?

200k kms (124k miles) 10w30 non-synthetic oil and a wix filter

At 125k miles I had to pull the head on my 90 4.0 (I don't want to talk about it!) so I went ahead and replaced the lifters as they were rattling quite a bit (always had when cold, then they started to do it during warmer weather and it started lasting longer)--best $60 I ever spent.

Back