• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Top shock bolt is actually getting HARDER to turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimmerjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
This top shock bolt is actually getting HARDER to turn as I slowly get it off. It is now fully stuck again. The channel locks are starting to slip off the shock sleeve, and I am starting to mangle the sleeve itself, since I need to regrip the locks after every 1/8 turn I can manage.

It literally took all my strength just to make it rotate each 1/8 of a turn. It's like when you finally break free a lug nut. Except it's for EVERY single 1/8 turn! I am actually screaming out loud like I am doing squats at the gym or something. I'm going to be sore from this, that's how hard I am turning just to get it to budge. Should a bolt be THIS hard to turn? I just can't spin the bolt any further, and the shock sleeve is starting to disintegrate. This is brutal.

I didn't wire brush the threads before trying to remove the bolt off the rusted stud. I only PB Blasted it. Do you think rusted metal shavings got caught inside the nut? Is the bolt basically stuck for good now?

Any last advice before I pay a local mechanic $100 to dremel off the bolts for me?
Thanks to the posters in other thread who offered help to get me this far.

Last edited:
tighten the nut back down then wirebrush the threads clean.

alternatively, get a hacksaw blade and just hack the damn thing off.

In before the lock.:roflmao::moon:

tighten the nut back down then wirebrush the threads clean.

alternatively, get a hacksaw blade and just hack the damn thing off.

Hmm, at this point, there might be room under the nut to hacksaw it off.
Let me see if I can go borrow one.

I will also have drive out to the hardware store to get replacement bolts then.
Anyone know the sizes?

I am pretty sure having your last thread closed and being told to stop trolling isn't really an invitation to start another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back