• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues

callmehedge

NAXJA Forum User
I was coming home last night had my cruise set to 60 and the gas pedal went strait to the floor. the jeep shut off and wouldnt start. it will crank over but won't run I checked to make sure the fuel pump was still working and it's fine. some one had mentioned possibly the crankshaft positioning sensor? kind of need to get this heep fixed by tomorrow for work I guess this is what I get for buying it so cheap

Vehicle year, engine and transmission would help....
Does the engine crank over?
Does the engine have spark?
Could be a crank position sensor, relay, or several other things without more information.

How did you determine you have spark; remove the spark plug and watch spark jump to ground?
If the fuel pump starts then the fuel rail is pressurized; then the engine should start although it may not idle or stay running.....
You are going to need to do some troubleshooting to determine what is not working.... If the TPS or MAP sensor are not working.... the engine will start, but not idle for long.

now I had to order a new nss as mine was broke when I went down to try and clean it out because I had lost od would that cause any issues? It would not affect the turning over not running

now I had to order a new nss as mine was broke when I went down to try and clean it out because I had lost od would that cause any issues? It would not affect the turning over not running

A bad NSS will keep it from cranking. If it cranks and you have spark/fuel/compression then it should run. You can bypass the NSS for a day or so until the new comes in. You jump two wires together. Someone chime in with a NSS bypass write up.

On 87-97 models; Unplug the NSS at the main wire harness near the dipstick(trace it up from the switch)

On the main harness side of the connector jump pins B and C and it will start in any gear(so be careful!)

If the engine is turning over but won't fire the NSS is NOT your problem.

The NSS is a safety lockout to prevent the engine from cranking in anything other than PARK or NEUTRAL.

The NSS does not prevent the engine from firing.

WHAT IS THE FUEL PRESSURE at the rail? Use a gauge.

WHAT IS THE COLOR OF THE SPARK tested? Blue and snappy is good.

Not sure what you mean by "the gas pedal went straight to the floor"... are you saying it went to the floor without you pushing it to the floor with your foot?
With a no run condition, I think full throttle tells the PCM to stop firing the injectors, let in max air to clear a flooded motor.

Is the pedal still all the way to the floor or did it return to normal position?

correct pedal went strait to the floor without me touching it. almost as if it was trying to compensate for a hill by giving it gas like cruise normally does only I was on a flat road.

This thread is a disaster.

Does the fuel pump energize when you turn the key on?
Does it crank?
Is there fuel pressure at the rail?
Are all of the connectors attached to the throttle body sensors?
Is there spark? How did you check?
Did you pull the distributor cap and check the rotor?
Did you check the wires to the ignition coil?
Did you check the spark plug wires?

Does anything else electrical not work, like the interior, the gauge cluster?
Have you checked all the fuses, especially the auto shutdown one?

Do you have a multimeter?

There's a million different scenarios, but without basic information about your vehicle, the things you've checked or the answers to the questions the guys are trying to help you with, it's like shooting a basketball at half court and hoping it goes in.

Re: Re: Issues

This thread is a disaster.

Does the fuel pump energize when you turn the key on?
Does it crank?
Is there fuel pressure at the rail?
Are all of the connectors attached to the throttle body sensors?
Is there spark? How did you check?
Did you pull the distributor cap and check the rotor?
Did you check the wires to the ignition coil?
Did you check the spark plug wires?

Does anything else electrical not work, like the interior, the gauge cluster?
Have you checked all the fuses, especially the auto shutdown one?

Do you have a multimeter?

There's a million different scenarios, but without basic information about your vehicle, the things you've checked or the answers to the questions the guys are trying to help you with, it's like shooting a basketball at half court and hoping it goes in.

Blindfolded

95 with a 4.0 aw4 trans and there is spark

No spark replaced crank sensor still nothing. was told to check pickup in the distributor?

more info = better answers, more good info = best answers.

start over and check everything listed in this thread. With the info requested, we can probably solve everything except the ghost in the accelerator pedal.

pump kicks on when keys turned on, it does crank over. fuel is getting I the rail unsure of what the pressure is: there is no spark took plugs out while attached to plug wire and held to block rice loft spark. haven't pulled ignition coil yet how would I go about testing? and the plug wires were out on roughly 10k miles ago. and I did just replace crank position sensor yesterday

Back