• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

negative camber issues

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 4wd Cherokee with a 3.5'' lift/stock control arms 30'' tires. I put it on an alignment rack, all was good but camber was off (not Shure how much) and visually looking at it you can see it off on both sides. im not Shure if this was a problem before the lift but I can remember the jeep always having sloppy steering and a little screwly on the road. I do frequent tire rotations but would hate for them to wear unevenly and if I could stiffen up the steering and drivability well that would be something!

Ball joints are the only way ti fix camber on our heeps. So pick up a set of synergy ball joints.
More than likely if you get the front tires of the ground, if you grab the tires at 6 and 12 and shake back and forth there will be movement.

just checked ball joints and as far as I can tell they seem okay but maby im just missing something

Is your axle bent? If not, then you may need some adjustable/degree ball joints to get your camber set correctly.

If your tubes are bent (put an angle finder on them, the two tubes should be exactly parallel going into the diff, AKA both at the same angle from horizontal) you need a new housing or adjustable/camber balljoints, no way around it.

If the inner Cs are bent (probably the upper portion), you can hammer them back with a 4lb hand sledge. If that's what's going on, I strongly recommend welding on some inner C gussets after hammering them back because it WILL happen again.

I have seen negative camber as a result of failed hub bearings.

3.5" of lift should drive darn near like stock.
Camber and Caster generally are not out of range yet.

How long has this lift been on?
Did you check the bushings in the arms? I have seen the stock arms get sloppy and not hold the bushing anymore.
Did you check the Trackbar to make sure it doesn't have a lot of slop in it?
Most folks run the pinion slightly low compared with the front DS to "dial in" some of that lost Caster and Camber. Did you do that?

"Sure" has no "h" in it.

the lift has been on for about 6 months, the bushings in the arms do feel pretty loose ( the whole arm can be moved 1/2 inch in each direction)
trac bar is aftermarket adjustable and very fresh and secure. and I have not messed with the pinion angle, I will buy an magnetic angle finder to see if my axle is bent, but how to I check the c's?

Back