• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reverse lights on switch? Help.

Tahenry88

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my NSS and my reverse lights STILL don't work. Is there anything else all that could cause them not to work? I tested them at the bulb socket and there not getting power period. The jeeps getting inspected Monday and I need reverse lights!!! I was thinking just a switch bc I was told that long as they can be turned on it'll pass. So a 2 way on off switch is what I'm looking into. Can anyone tell me how to do the switch? Or what else could be wrong? Please and thank you.

Okay it seems maybe it just needs adjusted? But it doesn't really say how, what line do I need to line up? What do I move to adjust it? It doesn't seem like it has adjustments?

Loosen the nut in the upper right and rotate the pie piece until the reverse lights are working. It's easier if you turn the ignition to on, put it in reverse, and have a second person tell you when the lights come on.

Oh well that's easy. So loosen the nut that actually holds it to the tranny?( even though it seems the shaft thru the nss does a DAMN GOOD job of doing that on its own. Lmao)

...and be sure to check the 7.5 amp TRANS fuse in the fuse block under the dash. Check it carefully, it's a tiny little filament, hard to see if it's blown.

The reverse lights run through that fuse.

Loosen the nut in the upper right and rotate the pie piece until the reverse lights are working. It's easier if you turn the ignition to on, put it in reverse, and have a second person tell you when the lights come on.

I use a slightly different approach to the adjustment.

I rotate the switch until the back up lights are off, then go the opposite direction (moving very slowly) until they come on.

I note that position.

I continue to rotate the switch until the lights just go out again.

I note that position.

Rotate the switch until the lights come back on.

Then, I center the switch between the two "ON" locations. I have found this to get the most reliable results.

When you "rebuild" the NSS, be sure to replace the dielectric grease that you will be cleaning out. What you are going to find will, most likely, be a rather nasty brown, thick (almost solid) mass of yuck. I also like to lightly burnish the contacts with a pencil eraser just to make sure the contacts are clean.

If you like, you can use an OHM Meter to monitor the switch position instead of using a second person watching the lights. In this manner, the adjustment can be made with the wiring disconnected from the Jeep. Personally, I use a meter.

This is one of the easiest projects to do and it is by far, the most cost effective project as the switch does not get replaced.

BTW, watch out for the little spring that holds the moving contact against the fixed contacts. It has a tendency to jump out...

I rebuilt mine yesterday. The hardest part was getting to the OEM zip ties to get the harness out. HOWEVER one of my bulbs is burnt out. I broke the glass portion if the bulb also. the spades are stuck in there really tight but don't seem to be corroded. Any suggestions???

1. Disconnect battery negative cable.

2. Use needle nose pliers to remove bulb base--feel free to be rough with it.

3. If No. 2 fails, go to recycler or parts store, purchase socket, cut wires, solder in place.

Good luck.

Back