• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubber on water pump pulley after trans line soaked bay

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
FWIW: 96XJ ,4.0, AW4, np231, 171k

Was out in the hills when the transmission line to the radiator blew spewing 3 quarts of fluid up in to the fan and all over the bay.

I cleaned up most of it with rags and cleaned up all electrical connections that were wet. Rig's runnin' fine after a radiator bypass straight to the aux. cooler returning to the trans.

As the line blew and we were throttling up out of the trees for a clearing to work in, there was a rubbery groan just for a second.

Upon inspection thee is a bit of belt rubber on the water pump pulley. 3/8" stripe around the pulley that I scraped of easily with a thumbnail.

Am I to assume the trans fluid got on the belt, the belt stuck for a sec and left some rubber behind from friction?

It's not much and it is a brand new belt. Anything to worry about? Will the fluid eat the belt up?
Should I pull the belt n clean it and the pulleys down?

Regarding the fluid, will it damage anything in the bay i.e. paint, hoses, plastic? Do I NEED to wash the bay down or let it be?

If it was me, I would pu the belt, inspect and replace if damaged in any way.
Clean pulleys so no rubber or residue remains.

Sure seems to be a lot of transmission line failures lately.
Since these things build up over time and the rubber gets soft and bulby, I'm wondering if folks inspect their vehicle when doing oil changes?

Mine got rubbed through by the edge of the electric fan shroud on washboards over the course of a year.
It would have been fine if, when replacing it last year I hadn't routed it wedged in between the top of the steering box and the fan shroud. The radiator side was a PITA to get on and clamp, and I didn't realize I'd routed it less than ideally till it was buttoned up.
At the time I didn't care, didn't want to redo that side, and figured "what could happen?".

Now I know lol.

The belt looks fine, albeit there's a tiny streak in it now but maybe a 100th of a millimeter is gone in that 3/8" stripe. I'm more concerned about the other components in the bay being damaged or losing paint from the trans fluid.

thoughts?

Back