• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaking at startup torque converter test

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Out of no where my xj started shaking at startup and at ldle in park and ten bad at 1309 rpms swapped a new tranny mount and didnt fix it, just got new mm bushings to toss in this weekend. Here's the question

When is the torque converter spinning?, I was thinking about coasting down a hill with the motor off, if it still shakes would that mean its tranny/torque converter related? Since the motor isn't running?

Checked the flex plate bolts and they were fine

It's not a horrific shake but gets annoying fast

00 sport with aw4

Tranny has 189k on it, had it apart at 166 and still looked mint inside, motor has 65k on it

Mine started shaking bad at start up as my CAT was falling apart. My guess is it was mostly plugged.

It shakes at startup but also at idle and while driving, if I hold the brake and go from nuetral to drive it gets significantly worse

Get another pair of hands to sit in the drivers seat and shift Park/Neutral-Drive, back and forth while you observe the engine's movement.

I dunno why I didn't think of this when you were texting me, but the torque converter is spinning literally any time the engine is spinning. It's bolted to the flexplate rather directly.

Dumb question, you say it shakes at startup and at idle/while driving and when you put it in neutral. What happens if you put it in reverse? Have you checked the clearance between the exhaust pipe and the transmission crossmember? I bet the bushing there is worn out and the exhaust is hanging on the crossmember.

Exhaust is banging on member because hanger by tank is gone, bracing tht didn't stop it, I guess I'll try coasting down a steep hill with engine off then, Darwin don't fail me now!

Joe, already did that, engine doesn't move an inch or at least any more than normal, it's tranny and exhaust that shake when revved

From my research the clutch in the tc going bad can cause nasty vibes, been trying to find a decently priced new converter with no luck

Are you sure it doesn't have a dead cylinder or two at idle? This would cause the engine to shake.

Try unplugging one injector at a time while its running to see if you have a dead cylinder.

Already pulled injectors, it's not just an at idle issue, it's all the time

Look at the harmonic balancer and see if the rubber has separated in it. It could have spun and now be out of balance to the engine.

There are not to many things that will cause an engine to shake, it has to either be a dead cylinder or a balance issue, maybe a motor mount issue.

Look at the harmonic balancer and see if the rubber has separated in it. It could have spun and now be out of balance to the engine.

There are not to many things that will cause an engine to shake, it has to either be a dead cylinder or a balance issue, maybe a motor mount issue.

I'm leaning toward the dead cylinder/misfire issue myself. He probably needs to get those mounts in also.

FWIW, a harmonic balancer takes vibes out that are way below the threshold of what a human can feel.

No codes are thrown until I start pulling injectors definately not a misfire, engine runs smooth and no change in rpms at all, just physical shaking

Back