• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evap core replacement. Part question

bdenglund

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've been working on replacing my evap core and my heater core and have a few questions. The new parts are all from NAPA and the evap core especially doesn't seem as adequate as compared to the OEM part. The NAPA evap cores voids for air flow are substantially larger and there are not near as many cooling fins for air to pass over. They seem to be 2 diffrent styles. Will the napa part be able to cool as efficiently as the OEM. The NAPA parts are also physically smaller, but not by much..
Do I need to be concerned??
Also, does anyone have any idea if there is a place to get all the foam seals for the heater box?? Specifically a part number for the kit.

Thank y'all

Brett
Sorry the pics are upside down. Can't get them right for some dang reason!

Last edited:
Replacement parts are sometimes updated in their operation and overall look. The evap core looks to be a slightly different design and type that the oem. It looks more like a modern style evap core from a 97+ XJ. It just might work better due to the increase in the number of tubes and more fins. The heater core shouldn't really matter as long as it fits.

Hey guys, I've been working on replacing my evap core and my heater core and have a few questions. The new parts are all from NAPA and the evap core especially doesn't seem as adequate as compared to the OEM part. The NAPA evap cores voids for air flow are substantially larger and there are not near as many cooling fins for air to pass over. They seem to be 2 diffrent styles. Will the napa part be able to cool as efficiently as the OEM. The NAPA parts are also physically smaller, but not by much..
Do I need to be concerned??
Also, does anyone have any idea if there is a place to get all the foam seals for the heater box?? Specifically a part number for the kit.

Thank y'all

Brett
Sorry the pics are upside down. Can't get them right for some dang reason!

The one on the bottom is exactly like the one I replaced in my 2001. I didn't see anywhere that indicated what year the OP has.

Regarding the foam seals, I went to Home Depot and bought some window/door insulator seals - the kind with the tape on one side - and use that where I couldn't save the original seals. Works just fine.

Oh yeah, my XJ is a 1991 Laredo. The evap core had a leak in it when I bought it and I'm just getting to fixing it 2 years later. The original owner said it just needed freon when I bought it. Turns out that wasn't all it needed.
Thanks for the replys gonna go to Home Depot tomorrow.

Brett

Another question... The new evap core does not have a place for the probe to insert into that is part if the thermostat switch. What can be done about this. There are allot of threads that bring the question up but no one finished with what they did to remedy this problem. This seems to be the problem with XJ pre/1996.. Any thoughts???

I assume you are talking about the evap temp probe? Try to place it in the same position and orientation as it was on the old evap core. Be careful and push it into the fins. You may also want to try starting the hole with a similar sized blunt pointed object to prevent damage to the probe itself. Maybe a #0 or #1 phillips screwdriver would work. Just don't pierce a tube.

Last edited:
The problem is that the probe has to be inserted through the side of the evaporator, not the front or back due to the sensor body that is attached to the probe. The sensor body stays outside of the heater box and the probe inserts through the heater box body and into the evap core. Ill try and post some pics....Iappreciate the replys. Keep em comming

Re: Evap core replacement. Diffrent problem now!!

Here are the pics..

As you can see the little hole in the old one is where the probe went. The new one has no hole!!
Anyone, anyone!!

Last edited:
Can you somehow route it around and interlace it with the plates on the new one?

The probe just wants to sense when the evap. is icing up and then shuts off a/c clutch to prevent the icing.

Also, are the fittings the same on the new one compared to the old?

Looks like the old are male and new are female.

Thanks for the reply Mr Monkey.. That is probably what I'll end up doing, unless someone else has some more wisdom on the situation. And also, those fittings are males. They just still have the dust caps on them..

Can you somehow route it around and interlace it with the plates on the new one?

The probe just wants to sense when the evap. is icing up and then shuts off a/c clutch to prevent the icing.

Yeah, what he said.

I didn't realize the probe was that long. All that is needed it for the probe to contact the fins for it to work correctly. If it were me I would get some long thin zip ties that will fit through the fins and hold the probe against the core itself.

Well anyone else tire of this damn evap core project of mine?? I sure am. Next question; I went to bend the probe and install it and when I did bend it the copper part of the probe broke. The wires are still in tact (I think), and the question is how can I reattach the copper. As you can see I tried a little RTV and that didn't work. Was thinking a little JB weld might do the trick, or some electrical tape.. Also, the foam on this door it pretty deteriorated. Could I just replace it with a flat piece of foam and not have to worry about the bump or foam that has pretty well descintigrated? I've replaced 90%of the foam so far, and really don't want to have to crack this thing open again after I install it..
Thanks yall
01-

Last edited:
Back