• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start??

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I have 94 4.0 jx that would not start after I let it sit for a week while on vacation.I thought it was thhe battery so I charged it and it made it to store but when I came out it barely wanted to start.it turned over real slow but started.later I went to leave and. No start no clicking no slow cranking.with the battery only 2 years old I put a multimeter on it and it read 12.6 volts.I can hear the relays clicking on when the ignition is turned on so I am thinking they are ok.anywhere else I should troubleshoot?

CABLES next.

Google or youtube search "automotive voltage drop test".

Get yourself a battery terminal brush and clean the connections.
Use a baking soda/water mixture to dissolve any corrosion. Flush with water.

Use felt washers on the battery terminals. Not the dry kind, use the ones that are soaked with red liquid. Or use the dry ones and saturate them with NoKo spray. This way, I never have to take the terminals apart except when changing a battery. Then I inspect the terminals for corrosion, but have never found any using the saturated felt washers.

Back