• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Serpentine Belt Tensioner

MattHiggins

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to move the tensioner pulley on my 96 XJ. I loosened the pulley, but can't seem to get the diagonal bolt to budge. I am missing something? I have soaked it with Kroil and still nothing.

Might be time to loosen the bolt in the pulley,a little more, And hit the back side to loosen up the adjuster.

good luck, they like to seize in place and break off. Try heating just the little knuckle part that the pulley bolt goes into with a propane torch for 30 seconds, preferably while keeping the heat off the bolt itself as much as possible. PBBlaster or another penetrating lube won't hurt either.

Ooof... Kroil is the best there is.

Maybe a propane torch?

Try slowly turning the adjuster bolt back and forth a little at a time and adding more Kroil as you go.

If it won't budge it could be galled in there. In which case you're screwed.

Heli-Coil might be an option if things don't work out

That's for the 95 down tensioner setup. The 96 up design is marginally improved, you just loosen one pinch bolt and then snap off the tensioner bolt instead of loosening 4 bolts, trying to find the tensioner bolt hidden under the pump, and then snapping it off.

I only loosened the bolt on the pulley. The pulley now slides (not in the direction I need it to), but the diagonal bolt appears to be uncooperative.

I've been having pretty good luck using a heat gun and then spraying the stubborn bolt or nut with spray oil to cold shock it. Repeat 3-4, half a dozen times, it doesn't have to be red hot to work. This is now my prefered method to remove brake line fittings.

You are correct. I forgot the year of the changeover. I have both a '93 and a '98 XJ.

The tensioner screw and bracket slot has to be clean of all dirt. A prolonged bath of
PB Blaster followed by a scrubbing with a wire brush helps to clear the threads on
the tensioner screw. I also give the adjuster a few love taps with a hammer and
wood dolly to loosen it as it may be seized in the slot.

just go to the junk yard and get another one, crank yours till it breaks, rinse replace. If heat or none of the other tricks work, that's where your at.

Well, broke the bolt.

The good news is the part the long adjustment bolt and the pulley bolt thread into is loose from the bracket. I got that piece and the pulley out. Now, I'm off to see if I can find these pieces or if a machine shop can get the bolt out.

You should be able to get teh bolt out by wire wheeling the portion that will need to go through the knuckle, then putting it in a vise, heating the knuckle around the bolt with a torch, and spinning it out with vise grips. Has worked for me every time.

IIRC it is a 100 or 120mm long M8 or 5/16 bolt with a funky reduced tip on it. Probably won't find it anywhere, but the dealer part number is 6503 198 or 4637 191, both should fit.

You should be able to get teh bolt out by wire wheeling the portion that will need to go through the knuckle, then putting it in a vise, heating the knuckle around the bolt with a torch, and spinning it out with vise grips. Has worked for me every time.

IIRC it is a 100 or 120mm long M8 or 5/16 bolt with a funky reduced tip on it. Probably won't find it anywhere, but the dealer part number is 6503 198 or 4637 191, both should fit.

The new good news is I got the bolt out. Local repair shop got the torch out, and for $5 they bolt is out. Best $5 I've ever spent and a huge money saver because I cringe at what a dealer would charge for the part. I tried propane, two locking pliers, more Kroil, wire brushing the bolt, etc. and couldn't get it to budge. I was just making matters worse.

Now I just need to go find the bolt. Thanks for the part numbers

Last edited:
That's for the 95 down tensioner setup. The 96 up design is marginally improved, you just loosen one pinch bolt and then snap off the tensioner bolt instead of loosening 4 bolts, trying to find the tensioner bolt hidden under the pump, and then snapping it off.

ROTF!

Sad, but true.

I broke mine off as well. I drilled it out and taped it for a 3/8-16 bolt then bought some all-thread. I cut the all-thread to length, welded a nut on the top end and ground a taper in the lower end. I put it back together with never-seize all over it. That was 5 years ago, it still works awesome!

What did that puppy cost you at the dealer?

Don't know yet. Searched and searched online until I found an exploded view in a parts catalog. Literally figured all out at 5:00, called the dealership and got nothing--they went home already. I have never worked so hard to replace a serpentine belt.

Here's where I put in my standard warning to NOT EVER buy anything from factorychryslerparts.com because, well, they took my money and then ignored me for two months while not shipping me my stuff and I had to sic my bank on them to get my money back. I'd pay triple their price at the local dealer before I'd give them another chance.

Back