• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97' Not Cranking

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Specs: 1997 XJ 4.0L AW4

Long story short I developed a non cranking issue this weekend, and am having trouble tracking down the culprit. Here's the symptoms...

-Starter works fine when terminals are jumped, engine runs normal
-Cleaned NSS, adjusted to where the relay clicks both in park and neutral
-Bypassed NSS, still no cranking
-Jumped green wire to starter at connection and starter cranks normal
-Swapped in spare starter, no change
-Swapped ignition switches, no change
-All fuses have continuity
-Relay under passenger kick panel (top most of the three) clicks when key is turned
-Starter relay in the PDC under the hood does not click, but shows 12V to it
-Swapped relays in PDC, no change

Advice on where to start looking in the wiring? It seems like there's a disruption in power between the relay in the kick panel, and relay in the PDC.

Thanks in advance.

swap the starter relay in the PDC?

edit.. never mind... i see you did.

The ignition switch send 12v to the starter relay coil in the start position

The NSS provides a ground for the starter relay coil in the PDC when in park or neutral.

your problem is either the relay is not getting a ground from the NSS or, 12v from the ignition switch.

Last edited:
3 relays there Horn, cigar lighter, and rear defrost relay.

Probably the cigar lighter relay clicking on/off as you turn to start position as it is only powered in the run or acc position.

Last edited:
Fixed.

Came home tonight to investigate the starter relay connections. Jumped the switched power to starter connection and it cranked normal. Then I took a look at the ground connection...

51AB7979-05F3-4888-B1A3-2275A3735DB9-3094-00000396E2DDFCCB.jpg

That's when I realized the connector had dropped down into the PDC case. Popped the PDC apart, reconnected the connector, and she cranks like a champ.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back