• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Update

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Well,

Just came back into the house for lunch after reinstalling my OEM injectors. It caught and ran faster than it did all weekend, and seems to running normally again - smooth and strong. I'm getting a little smoke from the engine right between the #3 and #4 injectors, but doesn't appear that it's coming from either one. Since it smells like exhaust, I'm wondering if I might have cooked/cracked my exhaust manifold with it running that rich.

Now to contact the guy I bought the 703s from this afternoon and see what he's willing to do for me, seeing as the injectors turned out to be the cause of my woes...

Good news you figured it out Rob.
Be sure to check that cat too.

Well, really it was Keith and Ben - they were saying the injectors were the problem from the beginning.

I got in touch with the guy I bought them from - when I told him the application, he said it sounds like the ones I got were set up for the higher flow of the later models. He's going to be sending me a set with lower flow that should be more to my engine's liking; I'll be getting this set on their way back to him tomorrow.

After doing that, I did an oil change (per Nick's urging). Yucky, nasty, watery stuff came out, and a fair amount of it. It's got 6 fresh quarts of 10W30 and a brand new filter, and it seems very happy right now. The smoke I noticed earlier is gone too - maybe it was a little of the Vaseline I used to lube the o-rings cooking off. Going to keep an eye on it, make a couple short runs and make sure all is as well as it seems to be. At least now I can trust it to get me to the car wash and back so I can get the mud off.

Since it's getting late and a bit stormy-looking I'll check the cat next weekend - have to get under and look at the driver's side of my belly pan anyway, since when it was going up on the wrecker yesterday it looks like I might have sheared off the bolts on that side.

Rob

Just run it don't put them in. It runs don't touch

Just run it don't put them in. It runs don't touch
do this, but also id say get a new o2 for it. Rockauto has denso o2s for 25 bucks after running it fat as hell for as long as you did I bet its not very happy and who knows how old it is just change it and have some piece of mind knowing its good. preventive maintenance is the best kind of maintenance

do this, but also id say get a new o2 for it. Rockauto has denso o2s for 25 bucks after running it fat as hell for as long as you did I bet its not very happy and who knows how old it is just change it and have some piece of mind knowing its good. preventive maintenance is the best kind of maintenance

Is there a way I can test the existing sensor? Thought if it tests OK (or even marginal) it might be wise to throw it in the toolbox as a spare.

just replace it but yea if you want keep the old one as a spare

Back