• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal fuel tank shield

Monster3663

NAXJA Forum User
Will the old style steel fuel tank shield/skid plate work on a 1998 fuel tank. Has anyone tried this? I was told it would not work. Is there one made for the 1997 through 2001 tank?

Last edited:
It can with some modifications.

There is a factory skid available for the 97-01 XJ but I would recommend a 93-98 Grand Cherokee(ZJ) skid for the 97-01 XJ. I have one on my 00 and it fits perfect.

Look around the junk yards, they are more common than one would think on the GC's

In '00, I fitted a 95 skid onto my 97 Heep. I had to break a couple of welds and slightly extend the sides to get it to fit. Given that the late model skids are hard to find, using an early model can be done if you are willing to cut and weld...

If I remember right, the clearance issue was at the back of the skid. All because Jeep changed the shape and the material of the tank...

I'm going to line it up under the 89 and see what has to be done. I not opposed to cutting, grinding and welding. Plus I looked on line at the local Upullandpay and they have a bunch of Grand Cherokees from those years, I might get lucky.

Back