• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any tricks for new balancer install?

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
Well I noticed today the rubber is starting to stick out of my 89 6cyl XJ's harmonic balancer. I'm just wondering how far I have to tear down to install a new one? (I have an "FSM" but many of you know shortcuts.)
I did a search but found nothing specific....
Thanks b5blue

What's an FSM?

I didn't have to tear anything down to do my 89. Don't bother trying to use a generic gear puller. 1) it will just pull the outer part off the inner hub. 2) it's an evil octopus. I used an Auto-Zone puller. It was like $12. Also a longer bolt was needed to get the new ballancer on. Once it's pulled on most of the way remove the longer bolt and put the stock one in.

Yes.

Purchase a new bolt--for installation only--and it should be a few inches longer than the correct bolt.

Also, purchase a handful of appropriate size fender washers for the bolt.

Grease the washers, place them on the longer bolt, use the longer bolt to PULL the balancer onto the crank. Remove a few washers, pull it on further. Repeat enough times that the balancer has been pulled far enough onto the crank that the STOCK bolt doesn't rip out the threads in the crank. Torque to specs.

The grease on the washers makes the job easier.

Good luck.

Don't use a bolt as there is a chance you can strip the threads in the crankshaft. Rent a proper harmonic balancer installer from Autozone, Advance, or Oriellys. You shouldn't have to remove anything besides the front skid if you have one and that engine mat. The only problem I have ran into is that some tools are longer than others and may hit the front cross member.

Replace the front seal while you're at it.

If you buy an after market HB, you will NOT have to remove the oil slinger. With a OEM you will, or so they say.

Once again Thanks Guys!! My local store has a Doorman brand HB in stock, I'll use every ones advise and let ya know how it goes. Darn thing has been running really nice after a bunch of repairs you all helped me pull off early last year.

I had to take my dorman balancer back and go hunting for an OEM one from the junkyard when I did my MJ, the dorman one was a few thousandths off on the inside diameter and wouldn't go on.

just FYI.

I had to take my dorman balancer back and go hunting for an OEM one from the junkyard when I did my MJ, the dorman one was a few thousandths off on the inside diameter and wouldn't go on.

just FYI.

IIRC, I had the same issue. Or maybe that was a dorman power steering pump pulley I'm thinking of. I can't remember.

IIRC, I had the same issue. Or maybe that was a dorman power steering pump pulley I'm thinking of. I can't remember.

i went to 4 different parts store chains and they all carried the same balancer made by dorman. and according to my calipers they were all the same size - just a hair too small.

I got mine from Rockauto. NonDorman and no problems. Can't remember the name, but I think it was the most expensive...maybe $35 or so.

OH BOY you guys just saved my A-- again! Until my Charger is back on the road I'd better wait. If I take the thing apart it must go back together smoothly or I'm walking! I wonder if "ATP" brand is better. I'll check Team Cherokee, I think they have "Omix" brand.

Thanks Greg! It's ordered from Rock, even saved a few bucks. ATP Brand is "The Other" from Doorman and yes 35.99 plus 9.37 shipping.
Boy that was a close call, I'd been ticked off if you guys hadn't chimed in on Doorman!

dorman is decent for most stuff but i've been pretty unimpressed since they moved their manufacturing out of the USA a few years ago. OMIX-ADA seems to be somewhat decent lately as far as parts i've needed but I don't know where they're made.

it's sad that when choosing parts i have to decide between "cheap china" and "good china"

Yes.

Purchase a new bolt--for installation only--and it should be a few inches longer than the correct bolt.

Also, purchase a handful of appropriate size fender washers for the bolt.

Grease the washers, place them on the longer bolt, use the longer bolt to PULL the balancer onto the crank. Remove a few washers, pull it on further. Repeat enough times that the balancer has been pulled far enough onto the crank that the STOCK bolt doesn't rip out the threads in the crank. Torque to specs.

The grease on the washers makes the job easier.

Good luck.

Shouldn't that be add a few washers ???? as you pull it on, the longer bolt will get too long, and the washers would be needed to make it short again.

And the safest way is to use tthe proper installation tool , not a bolt & washers. I have seen people have to get a new crank cuz they stripped the hole out.

I can't imagine how someone could strip the crank with the long-bolt method. How fricken hard are they wrenching on it to pull the balancer on? It doesn't take that much force to pull it on. If you feel it bottom then stop. If it does take that much force and it's not going then something is wrong. Stop and figure it out. It would take extreme incompetence to strip the crank with this method.

I can't imagine how someone could strip the crank with the long-bolt method. How fricken hard are they wrenching on it to pull the balancer on? It doesn't take that much force to pull it on. If you feel it bottom then stop. If it does take that much force and it's not going then something is wrong. Stop and figure it out. It would take extreme incompetence to strip the crank with this method.

unless as I mentioned the balancer's ID is undersized and you're not paying attention :wave1: not everyone who wants to fix their rig has experience ;)

Shouldn't that be add a few washers ???? as you pull it on, the longer bolt will get too long, and the washers would be needed to make it short again.

And the safest way is to use tthe proper installation tool , not a bolt & washers. I have seen people have to get a new crank cuz they stripped the hole out.

Sure, pick on the old guy with the bad memory!

Darn kids.

i went to 4 different parts store chains and they all carried the same balancer made by dorman. and according to my calipers they were all the same size - just a hair too small.

I can confirm this...since I was Grimm's chauffeur. :)

Back