• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Duty Vinyl Floor Liner Reviews Wanted

paddlernate

NAXJA Forum User
I had to pull the seats and carpet out of my '96 4 door and am thinking that this would be a good time to replace the carpet. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences they'd like to share regarding the "Auto Custom Carpets Heavy Duty Vinyl Floor Liner" that is sold on JCWhitney. I'm looking for a more durable product like this that can get dirty and greasy. I've installed one of these before in a Chevy truck and it took a good bit of fitment to make work. How do these fit in our XJ's? Does anyone know of a better product that will fit an XJ precisely?

Just to be sure, are you planning to REMOVE the carpeting entirely?

My Rugged Ridge liners leaked around the oval advertising emblem after about one year and started rotting my floor due to trapped moisture. I found this just a week ago. I contacted Rugged Ridge and was told the design is not meant to contain water and the mats should be removed regularly to let trapped moisture evaporate.

My Rugged Ridge liners leaked around the oval advertising emblem after about one year and started rotting my floor due to trapped moisture. I found this just a week ago. I contacted Rugged Ridge and was told the design is not meant to contain water and the mats should be removed regularly to let trapped moisture evaporate.

Ew. That's not good. I'll keep an eye on mine.

I have the quadratec brand mats. The drivers side mat leaks water so it's useless in that respect. The passenger side mat doesn't leak, but it also doesn't exactly fit the contours of the floor so it looks a little funny, although it doesn't bother me. I have future plans to bedline the floors still.

Also, in about one year of moderate driving (10k miles) I have worn down the "treads" on my drivers side mat all the way flat. I probably wouldn't recommend the quadratec mats.

i have the acc flooring and it is the worst thing ive ever used. says its molded but its not and you have to trim a bunch off the edges and ever still after a year of having it does not sit right. i tried emailing the company and the never even responded to me as well. just my .02

Camojeep: have you tried using a heat gun to re mold it
that's what i was thinking. I would love to have a rubber floor with padding underneath. I will keep the carpet as long as i can, but i do hose the thing out on a regular basis so i'm sure that isn't the best. I' m just careful not to overdo it.

My experience in salt country started when the floors in my FSJ started rotting out. Took me awhile to figure out what happened, I'd track salt in with the water and it would eventually find it's way under the Rubbermaid matts. Fast forward ten years, wife put rubber matts in her new XJ and never told me, by the time I noticed the rot had already started. Fast forward another ten years and she did exactly the same thing to her new XJ. If I even see a rubber or vinyl matt around it goes straight into the trash can now.

Especially in salt country, you have to put down something that breaths, anything that traps moisture is sure to cause issues and inspect under the carpet on a regular basis, at least every couple of years. I periodically wire brush (wire wheel on an angle grinder) and put down another coat of Hammerite. Hammerite is a good compromise, it will lift or blister before the rot gets too bad, with bedliner it may rot out completely underneath before you even notice the metal is gone (much the same as undercoating).

Really....thats not what their advertisement says....here it is:

Get heavy-duty floor protection with these All-Terrain floor liners from Rugged Ridge. These precision-engineered mats fit the exact shape and contour of your vehicle's floor. Their deeply molded Chevron-shaped tread pattern channels dirt, mud, and snow away from the driver to keep your shoes and pant legs clean. They also contain the movement and sloshing around of any trapped water, offering maximum interior protection for your ride. Raised ribs on the bottom keep the liners in place, and a self-sealing floor hook attachment keeps dirt and moisture from getting through. They're easy to remove and clean--simply hose them off and go.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend them, as they do not stay put, and the passengers side mat has an odd shaped cutout that only traps mud & water in the outer front corner. Not sure why, but they only have 1 part # for 84-01, and neither my 88 nor my 96 needs this cutout.

I was also disappointed that the rear mats were so small, I mean both of them barely cover one side.

Camojeep: have you tried using a heat gun to re mold it

I went through this installing my vinyl floor. Can't remember who I bought it from, but the factory molding was pretty loose. It took a lot of trimming, fitting, heat gun, etc.

What worked best was heating a bunch of smallish stones in the oven, putting them in a gunny sack, and placing in the corners.

Still not perfect, but pretty good.

Seems to be the case with just about all brands. Had to do the same with the wife's Toyota

"They also contain the movement and sloshing around of any trapped water, offering maximum interior protection for your ride"

Containing the "movement" of water does not mean they contain water. I have been in direct contact with RR and told the emblem is not a sealed water barrier. The customer should remove their mats and inspect them and the floor routinely.

Edit: Reply to TRCM, partial quote from advertising

Last edited:
I have the Husky Liners that the P.O. put in my 01 and im pretty happy w them .

I cut my carpets into easily removable sections and would remove it for wheeling trips in case i got too deep in water.
I used to put it back in for DD duties .

It never got put back in this time after W.F. and these Mats cover so much that it looks pretty good to me .

I will likely use Duraback or something like that to line the floor later after im done welding near those areas.. ( after cage and stiffeners ) .

I am a little concerned about the heat at the trans hump area though it could melt the Durabak I think because it gets stupid hot .

Maybe i will Just Paint the gaps that show between the mats and the floor and not even do a liner on the floor ..
Or Paint the trans hump area and line the Floors . IDK LOL

Last edited:
Back