• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear drum adjuster access question

Shoeman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove a rear drum. I know I'm supposed to back the adjuster off, but the two rubber plugs I can see on the backing plate are at 3 and 9 o'clock and it looks to me like the adjuster is at 6 from all the pictures i can find? Did I miss a plug? How in heck do you access the adjuster?

Geoff

Try pulling the drums without readjusting them 1st. Often the adjuster failes to adjust the brakes and the drums will slide off.

If that's a no-go.

The adjuster is at the bottom, so the plug is at the 6'o'clock position. to is about 3/4" long with rounded edges (Sort of a long oval).

As your look at the backing plate from the rear, use your brake tool or screw driver to force the star wheel up against the adjuster pawl. It may take a few turns.

Plug is on the bottom. Push the adjuster spring away from the star wheel with a screw driver/brake spoon, and use another one to turn the adjuster.

Thanks guys. I'll take another look at the bottom of the plate. At 6'6" I have trouble folding myself up enough to be able to eyeball some stuff at times. It's on stands under the axle at least. And at first the drum would not budge at all but after reading a few threads here last night I went out and wailed on it with the proverbial BFH as directed and at least knocked it loose. It may be hanging on rust on the axle center too. Maine winters play hell on the undercarriage.

The first time was the worst for mine. Rust-seized to the hubs, and a ridge of rust on the inboard lip, so I had to adjust the shoes in as far as they would physically go. Lots of hammering, swearing, brake cleaner, knocking rust off, and anti-seize...

Back