• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving without power steering.

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Kids out of town 2hrs away. Power steering went out. Says there is fluid, belt spinning smooth and its drive able but a bitch to steer.

I told him to keep an eye on the belt, pump pully and temps. And bring it home. Stop if pulley locks up or temps rise.

Is that safe or should he stop now?

At speed shouldn't matter much, dead stop its a PITA to turn the wheel but driveable. Just do it!

I drove my trail rig from Salisbury MD to Roanoke VA, 400+/- miles with no fluid in the pump. That was 5 years ago, that pump is still in there. Drive it!

Have the kid make sure the steering box is secure to the frame though. My son was driving home the other day in his MJ when all 3 bolts sheared on the box and he was done, very lucky to get it off the road. I got one bolt back in it and limped it home. I had to replace the box due to the bolts being sheared off and it was leaking.

Back