• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issue with new Power Steering Pump

Hamsteh

NAXJA Forum User
G'day from an Aussie jeeper. Rarely post on here but I'm totally stumped and figured maybe I'd see if any of you NAXJA folks had some ideas for me.

So I have a new (reman) power steering pump installed in my 1996 XJ. I replaced my pump because it was sounding pretty noisy after a recent 4x4 trip involving lots of water crossings. I also got a new pulley with it.

I poured in about 400mL of steering fluid and the reservoir was full so I figured it was time to bleed. I started it up and it whirrs something awful. Turning wheels side to side did nothing; no bubbles, no lowering of fluid. So I killed the engine and called it a night.

Next I tried disconnecting the return and running it into a bucket. Repeat bleed process with engine off and front end raised. Went through another 500mL of so of fluid (with some exiting into the bucket, though I estimate less came out than what I poured in - good sign).

Now I've tried repeating the bleed process multiple times, engine off and engine running. But the pump is still whirring quite loud and I seem to have zero power assist... Occasionally I see the odd tiny bubbles in there, suggesting air, but no lowering of reservoir level.

I'm stumped, and figure its one of the following:
1) Air is still trapped somewhere and bleeding it as per standard doeisnt working
2) There is a blockage in a line (or would this sound different?)
3) The reman pump is stuffed

I would greatly appreciate and help you folks could offer me.

Cheers,
Hamsteh

Hook up the pump to the box, jack the front end off the ground and cycle the tires lock to lock about 50 or so times. With the engine off.

Hook up the pump to the box, jack the front end off the ground and cycle the tires lock to lock about 50 or so times. With the engine off.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I've actually already tried this multiple times - including leaving it for anywhere between 30minutes and overnight it to settle.

Many reman companies here in the states send generic valving in the output of thier pumps to condense part #s, you may need to swap parts from the old pump.

Otherwise, option #3.

Many reman companies here in the states send generic valving in the output of thier pumps to condense part #s, you may need to swap parts from the old pump.

Otherwise, option #3.

Generic Valving? If hypothetically this was the cause of the issue, would there be a way to verify this? I'm afraid I dont quite understand what you mean by valving?

With the high pressure line disconnected you should be able to turn the pulley by hand and see fluid shooting out.

With the high pressure line disconnected you should be able to turn the pulley by hand and see fluid shooting out.

Ah okay thanks for that, I will give this a test next. I suppose if this works then I'm either seeing air or a blockage in the high pressure line?

Ah okay thanks for that, I will give this a test next. I suppose if this works then I'm either seeing air or a blockage in the high pressure line?

Okay so I gave this a shot, no flow out of pump when spun by hand.... that sounds fairly conclusive to me! Damnit, now to see how helpful RockAuto is going to be with a customer downunder...

Back