• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ 4x4, 4.0. Weird noise in reverse only.

I think more information is in order. When did it start? Under what circumstances did the problem develop? The rolling in park with a clicking noise seems to indicate that the park pawl is broken/bent and not locking the transmission up. Did it get put in park when it was still rolling?

x2 on the park pawl. The edges of the pawl can wear down over time and become rounded (not grab), springs can break or weaken. It is also possible that the shift cable is a little out of adjustment (cable stretches over time).

Years ago, I had a similiar issue with "clicky" noises as I rolled forward.

What I determined was that at one time I had removed the rear wheels to rotate them, and I had the parking brake on when I set my XJ on stands.

What happens is that when you remove the wheel with the parking brake on, the rear drums will shift a bit on the lug nuts, with the brake pads applying pressure. You will notice that the drums fit loose on the lug nuts, and can move a bit. This would cause the drums to not seat correctly when the wheels are re-installed.

Remove the rear wheels again, but this time with out the parking brake on. Pull the drums a bit to make sure they are freed up, and reinstall the wheels to see if that doesn't eliminate your problem....

This always seem to clear up my "clicky' noises.....

Back