• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticky door handle help

:new:I'm in a 96 Country Edition. My 5 year old has a tough time pushing the thumb piece in to open the doors. Is there anything I can do to loosen them up. I would prefer lubricants and locations prior to new parts but am open to both. He's not gonna have as much fun if his dad has to open the door for him to get in.

Dry silicone or moly lube

First try spraying around the button, if that doesnt work, pull the inside panel and spray the mechanism.

Sounds like he needs more xbox time to build up his thumbs

This may sound small townish but thats part of the reason I got the jeep....to keep him outside with me and off the games for as long as possible. He loves riding around in it and brags to all of his buddies about HIS JEEP!!!! He helped me get rid of the rear swaybar last weekend!!! :wave:

There are a couple of things you can do if the rear doors are getting hard to open, but if the handle has gotten rusty and sticky, it's possible that a part has bent, and you can't really fix that without taking the handle out. Unfortunately, the little studs that hold the handles on can shear very easily if they also rust.

If you take a handle off and the studs shear off, you can carefully redrill them for a 1/4 inch thread, and use a standard short bolt. The stud is threaded into a brass insert, and you can drill it out. But you must be careful not to overheat when drilling, or the plastic around the brass insert will melt and it will spin and ruin the handle.

If you do get the handle off, it's pretty easy to see how to rebend things and get everything moving freely again.

You can also readjust the engagement of the handle button. If you look into a hole in the edge of the door, you'll see a little allen head screw. If you have to push the button in too far, you can loosen that screw and alter the linkage. Don't go too far or it won't latch right. If you run out of adjustment and still have to push it too far in, that's a sign that the mechanism inside is bent.

I had a similar problem on the drivers side rear and eventually got it fixed. Unfortunately, simply spraying lithium grease into the latching mechanism didn't work because the issue turned out to be that the factory lube had pretty much dried out and had caked everything making the entire assembly so stiff that the door lock actuator wasn't strong enough to lock/unlock the doors.

The fix was to pull the door latching mechanism out, clean it and re-grease it. To be clear, I'm not talking about the door handle, I am refering to the assembly on the edge of the door that the striker latches into. It wasn't too hard with only a couple of Torx screws and some easy to remove linkage parts to deal with. Once out, I spent about 15 minutes with a can of brake cleaner and some scrubbing to clean it up (while working the mechanisms back and forth) before applying a good dose of lithium grease and reinstalling it. It took a couple of hours for the first one but the rest got easier.

HTH
Todd

Back