• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No marker or dash lights

Joe98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ 4.0 etc, etc....
Hazards and turn signals work however no markers front or rear when running headlights. Have tracked down the usual suspects (fuses) all are good. Is there a relay somewhere that is hidden or that I might have over looked? Someone please help as this a dd and I can't afford some ridiculously imposed CA fine from the CHP. The only mods/work most recently done was a front bumper/winch install and bushwacker flat fenders install and fender trim.

From an old thread of mine:

"If you've tried every switch from every local auto parts store, yet none seem to work (with the exception of a few that work between knob positions), chances are you've blown the small 20A fuse in the PDC (in the engine bay) that is responsible for the running lights, as well as the bus (you might notice a code is thrown as soon as you turn the ignition to the "on" position). While looking in the engine bay and standing in front of the vehicle, the fuse of interest is immediately to the left of the bottom-right-most small blade fuse."

Wish I had the fuse number, but I don't.

Well I checked out that fuse and it was fine. Went to Auto Zone and tried to use their code reader and it would not recognize that it was plugged into my jeep. So I am at a loss. I can't think of anything else to run down except the relay under the steering column area except I just replaced it like a year ago and don't remember that relay effecting the issues I have right now. Any more thoughts out there?

This just happenend to me last month. Mine turned out to be a faulty side marker socket. I chased down every fuse and even tore my dashboard apart looking for a bad ground and it was that stupid socket/bulb on the driver's side.

Check that first before you go any further.

Jim

Awesome thanks I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Awesome thanks I'll give that a shot this weekend.

No worries. Your XJ is a late model, but on my 89' the dashlights and courtesy lights all complete the same circuit. I have no idea why they engineered it like that, but I found out the hard way. It's kind of like Christmas lights where if one piece goes out, it takes out the whole system. It sucks ass...

Please follow up and let me know if that was the cause. It would be nice to know for the future if that works on newer XJs.

Jim

Last edited:
Back