• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 cherokee engine harness issues

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 XJ just started borking out on the trail the other day. Running rough on start, and cleans up by itself after a bit of rattling around.

I thought at first that I had a leaky injector as my fuel pressure has also been dropping overnight, but pulled them and pressured up the rail and no leaks.
While I was at it though, I of course bumped the harness around and threw codes for high voltage on the Intake temp, TPS, and idle air. Grabbed the harness and gave it a twist right at the main junction by the firewall and like every other Jeep I've owned, the engine stalled. Once dead, I gave it another shake with power on but engine off, and sure enough I can hear a few relays or breakers clicking somewhere.

So I opened up the harness. All the wires are stuck together (wasn't the case with previous Jeeps) but I can't for the life of me find the break.
Tested all the sensor plugs for resistance. Ground is always 0 or very low, but everything else is showing some resistance in the kohms range. This of course disappears back to 0 when I give everything a good shake.

The Intake temp sensor plug is the most interesting I think, as it's only got two wires and it's value is measured by resistance AFAIK. The ground measures 0 but the other wire measures around 7kohms until I push and prod the harness around the now exposed junction. I can't for the life of me find a break. I even separated all the individual wires and still getting the same issue.

Now of course, it's harder to re-create the problem and I'm no longer throwing codes. I could just wrap it all back up and drive away but I hate leaving a known problem in place.

How am I going to trace this? Does anyone know what resistance we should see across all the sensor leads? Can't find anything for 97-01 harness specs. (this was easy with the Renix harness).

No replies!? Where's Ecomike or Peters on this?

At any rate, I found "A" problem and I suspect it was causing a tonne of other issues, and I'm hoping someone can tell me why.

The signal wire on the CPS harness was intermittently disconnecting in the connector. The connector pin itself has a bit of a spring to it, but the spring had been mashed down and if you wiggle the wire a little, it would disconnect/reconnect. This makes perfect sense to me except that it doesn't describe the symptoms as far as my understanding of the ECM goes.

So, with ignition on, Jeep off, if I wiggle the CPS harness, EVERYTHING clicks. All my relays, injectors, fuel pump, and probably others. If I intentionally unplug the CPS, everything clicks and when I plug it back in, it all clicks again. To me this first indicated that my CPS must be internally shorted, except that my Jeep starts and runs (not possible with a borked CPS). So what exactly does the ECM do in response to the CPS being connected or not connected? The behaviour I'm seeing would indicate that unplugging the CPS turns off the ECM entirely. I don't know why it would be setup this way, but I suppose it wouldn't matter as you'd never have a "run" condition with the CPS out anyhow. But, the ECM isn't off. I can still talk to it via OBD.
So is unplugging the CPS causing a brief high voltage across all my 5V+ leads, resulting in a reboot of the ECM? Is plugging it back in causing a brief low voltage condition? Why's everything clicking when the CPS is connected/disconnected?

At any rate, once I fixed the harness, Jeepy took a while to start the first time but I suspect that's due to a tonne of fuel in the cylinders from the injectors firing every time I wiggle the CPS harness. After it ran for a minute, it's running dead smooth. I've had a slight rough run for years where it feels like a cylinder is misfiring every 3 rotations or so. That now seems to be fixed. The question now is why the CPS harness issue caused a high input condition to the Intake temp sensor, TPS, and Idle Air controller? Is my assumption just bang on, that the intermittent connection issue was causing brief spikes in voltage?

Back