• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Memorial Weekend Run

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I headed down to TSF this past Friday to camp out with some friends from another club, and another visiting club from up North. It's become an annual event, and one I've been looking forward to for awhile.

Friday I headed out after work. I think I saw every season on the drive out.
E533BBAB-784E-4DE6-B341-2A62DADE86C0-9864-00000E55750AF5DB.jpg

Rolled into our base camp early evening, and set up camp. Others were already out wheeling.

Saturday morning came around, and people slowly began to file in. I believe when we left camp at 0930 we had 16 rigs ranging from a S10 Blazer, 12'JK, and a bunch of Samurai's. Started off with Powerline.
IMG_0080.jpg

After a few sections of Powerline to loosen up, we hopped onto TSF's latest adopted trail, University Firepower. We ran the two usual sections, then Jahmaal from ODF had us run the newly converted ATV trail that extends Univertiy Firepower to the start of Cedar Tree. This cuts down on road time significantly. Kinda neat being one of the first to run a trail.
IMG_0082.jpg

After cruising through Cedar Tree we started Firebreak Five.
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Firebreak Five was pretty slick and proved to be a good challenge for the group. Eventually we made our way through all four sections. Some of us hadn't even begun to scratch our itch so we headed over to Airplane Hill.
IMG_0102.jpg

Only a few of us chose to run the trail. While we ventured in, the rest of the group drove around. When we arrived to the obstacle, Ryan (aka Icemans) decided to feel it out.
IMG_0108.jpg

The bottom rock garden was slick and nasty. Ryan got twisted up, pulled cable, and by that point he was now committed. The obstacle basically consists of a lower rock garden, followed by a good 4-5 foot vertical ledge, and finally once on top you then have to make it up a rock infested hill climb. Here's a picture of Ryan winching up the middle ledge. What a badass.
IMG_0112.jpg

Once on top, Ryan was making progress on the hill climb. The slick rocks required some serious commitment. About half way up, too much pepper took out his front driver 44 stub shaft.
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Benefits to a 44, we just unlocked the hubs and kept pulling cable. Overall it wasn't too bad of a recovery, and we were all out within an hour. Once we made it through the upper filter, we cruised back to camp for the night. Ryan making repairs that night.
A59FC10A-CA84-4C1A-A0DF-68A2C7C69A1C-9864-00000E557BE41EB7.jpg

I really didn't have plans to stay Sunday, but I didn't feel like I had enough so I stayed around for some more wheeling. When in Rome, right?

We began the day with the Highway 6 obstacle. Getting 16 rigs down highway 6 proved to be a challenge in itself, from pissed off cars, to samurai with the case of the shakes.
96DB62D1-973A-4F45-90B0-ACA01919578E-9864-00000E558559E16D.jpg

We ran 6 down to Rogers Road trail, and then began Stick In the Nose. This trail has become a favorite of mine probably because it's not part of the usual trails we always run. It's not challenging, but it's technical and drops some serious elevation quick.
972F20ED-91B0-429D-9FA3-F6B7503BC865-9864-00000E558CC7BEBA.jpg

Almost to the end of the trail one of the guys radioed, "well im broke... really broke."
D25DC7B7-5B24-4E2B-AFCF-2383C7A7CA69-9864-00000E559B5C0746.jpg

Turns out Dave had sheared the steering arm bolts off his front axle. Fortunately we had a 4Runner with us who carried every spare Toyota part imaginable, and some people who weren't afraid to step in and help with repairs. This could have been a nightmare to get off the trail, but we had him back up and running in under two hours.

After Stick In the Nose, we cruised up from Jordan Creek to begin Archers. The V-Notch is always a good time.
IMG_0120.jpg

LJDude.
IMG_0123.jpg

The 4Runner's battery started to arc out while coming up the hill. Fearing an electrical fire we rushed to get it contained. Folks, secure your batteries!
IMG_0136.jpg

Gettin it!
IMG_0142.jpg

After the V-Notch, we continued on Archers to Waterfall. We heard that conditions were really sloppy and hardly anyone was making it. A group of three jumped in before us, and after 45 tries each two of the three made it up unassisted.
3D5F753C-D77B-4153-B663-68FE28F3EAA1-9864-00000E55B0AA78F5.jpg

I headed up after them. (picture courtesy of LJDude)
l.jpg

Lets just say TORX was very pleased with his run. The previous group however, didn't look to pleased when an XJ with 4" of lift and 33's one upped them. (picture courtesy of LJDude)
l.jpg

Dustin in his Zuk letting the four squirrels breath.
IMG_0145.jpg

If you ever need a spotter, call Ryan.
IMG_0147.jpg

Joey aka FiveNDime, flexing out a bit at the top.
IMG_0155.jpg

Ryan tried to pull a TORX in the beginning by almost putting it on it's side, but after had a clean run up as well.
IMG_0158.jpg

All in all this was an awesome weekend on the trails with some good people. I got a lot of trail time in, but I'm already itching for some more. Naches can't come soon enough.

Nicely done, Dustin... good to see the "Salon" being put thru the paces! Miss you, buddy... but I'll be back :)

The forest looks really nice and green, every shade! So, that was a 2012 stock JK? Did you pay much attention to how that Jeep performs?

I remember a couple years ago, during a night run up Archer's, our group played at Can Openner... granted, this was before the re-design... a chick named Kara, I believe, in a stock TJ, not disco'd, open diffs and stock-size all terrains OWNED can openner... MOJOJOJO was there as an eyewitness ... we were all in awe!!!

The forest looks really nice and green, every shade! So, that was a 2012 stock JK? Did you pay much attention to how that Jeep performs?

It's got a few aftermarket goodies like bumpers, sliders, and a raspy exhaust, but the drive-train and suspension are stock.

I'm shocked at how capable it is. On this trip it made it up the first section of Firebreak 5 without too much trouble. Being locked front and rear with 33's certainly helps though.

They're capable rigs, but I just can't imagine "wheeling" a brand new vehicle though. The owner has brought it out on a snow run, and to Sand Lake as well, so he's obviously enjoying it.

ah yeah, they're pretty pricey for dragging through the mud rocks and snow! but cool that it's capable like that thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Back