• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Lift gate won't open.

thezfunk

NAXJA Forum User
I had been having issues for a while. It would take two or three pulls to open it on the latch. I know to fix the issue I have to take the interior trim off and adjust it but now I can't get it open at all. Any suggestions?

Climb in the cargo area pull the plastic cover that is over the lacth back (from the top, just under the rear window) as far as you can & reach down to the latch. you can manipulate the latch open from here. I've had to do it several times & it's a pain, but not all that difficult. once you get it open remove the trim & you will either find the plastic contact point broken or that it just needs adjusting. it can work it's self down over time & stop working. Plastic & metal together isn't the best design.

Yay for blankie hatch!

I often am required pull up the handle with left hand, and smack the hatch right near the handle with my right.
She opens right up.

I encountered this issue once... The holes in the sheetmetal where the rear license plate light/trim piece attached to the hatch had stripped/rusted out, so I cleverly decided to use J-clips instead. Unfortunately, one came loose and fell down into the inside of the hatch, blocking the cam/rotating action of the latch itself.

That was an infuriating day that ultimately led to me ditching the wood/steel storage system I'd built for my cargo area, as I had failed to consider ever needing to disassemble it from the front of the vehicle. This also happened to occur on the very day I was to depart from NC on my move back to TX, so it delayed my trip a few hours.

Climb in the cargo area pull the plastic cover that is over the lacth back (from the top, just under the rear window) as far as you can & reach down to the latch. you can manipulate the latch open from here. I've had to do it several times & it's a pain, but not all that difficult. once you get it open remove the trim & you will either find the plastic contact point broken or that it just needs adjusting. it can work it's self down over time & stop working. Plastic & metal together isn't the best design.

That worked. I adjusted it but it still sometimes takes two pulls to open. I PB blasted everything in there after I adjusted and now it works slightly better. Everything still seems loose and I can't find a screw to tighten it all up with. Still, at least now it opens! Thanks guys.

No blankie for me back there :)

Back