• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM tow hooks

To my knowledge they were only available with the UpCountry suspension group, not a specific trim level. This option was available on every trim level. It included skid plates for the gas tank, transfer case, front steering, and a limited slip rear differential. It also included and auxiliary transmission oil cooler.

Funny how my '94 has the skid for the gas tank, and the aux tranny cooler for the automatic. But it doesn't have the front hooks or front skid. I thought that the hooks came if you got the front skid, but the hooks did come as part of the upcountry package.

Jeff

Funny how my '94 has the skid for the gas tank, and the aux tranny cooler for the automatic. But it doesn't have the front hooks or front skid. I thought that the hooks came if you got the front skid, but the hooks did come as part of the upcountry package.

Jeff

After working at a Jeep dealership for a while I have learned that you do get some wild card cars every now and then that just have some strange options. Right now we have 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo base model but it has a power rear lift gate, sunroof, 4x4, 8.4" touch screen but no back up camera or leather interior or backup sensors. Customers will also want certain add-ons but not entire packages. The guy who originally bought your Jeep may have said "ok I'll take the Jeep if you throw in a gas tank skid plate because I think it is vulnerable and I want an auxiliary transmission oil cooler to make sure the fluid stays cool" and the dealership did it to make the sale.

After working at a Jeep dealership for a while I have learned that you do get some wild card cars every now and then that just have some strange options. Right now we have 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo base model but it has a power rear lift gate, sunroof, 4x4, 8.4" touch screen but no back up camera or leather interior or backup sensors. Customers will also want certain add-ons but not entire packages. The guy who originally bought your Jeep may have said "ok I'll take the Jeep if you throw in a gas tank skid plate because I think it is vulnerable and I want an auxiliary transmission oil cooler to make sure the fluid stays cool" and the dealership did it to make the sale.

haha so true. i work at a dealer too and we get some funky combos. we got a super base model Dart with no AC. who the heck is gonna buy a new car with no AC? Darts arent selling as it is lol

my own MJ was a base model with added on dana 44, gas tank skid, front skid, and trans cooler. no tow hooks.

haha so true. i work at a dealer too and we get some funky combos. we got a super base model Dart with no AC. who the heck is gonna buy a new car with no AC? Darts arent selling as it is lol

They still make cars without a/c?! Now that is truly shocking! How much is it before discount? $14,000? haha We have a lot of Darts that aren't really moving either. Sad as they are nice cars for the price and what they are. What really is sad to watch is Durangos just sit. They are great SUVs and I would absolutely drive an R/T. And they are just Dodge branded longer Grand Cherokees. They just need to rebadge it as a longer Jeep and call it Grand Wagoneer. The biggest complaint about the Grand Cherokee so far is no third row.

I have a 90 XJ Laredo with front skid, tank skid, and hooks. My dad bought it new from the dealer. Don't know what "package" it had, but he didn't modify it at all. He did put 200K easy miles on it in 10 yrs. though.

Skid plates and tow hooks were an extra cost optional add on. They were also part of larger option packages, such as the UpCountry off-road package. A Cherokee owner could also buy the tow hooks or skid plate parts and install them, or find the parts in a junkyard.

My heep is a base model with 4.0L/AW4/231, manual everything + A/C, No skids/hooks etc.
I have modded it, but that is how it was when I got it.

I have a set of 96-down tow hook/bumper brackets for sale if you are looking for some.

Back