• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting issue's after tra abuse. please help.

SSSRyanXJ88

NAXJA Forum User
So, the past few times ive taken my jeep through the mud ive had some issues starting it back.up after I turn it off. the starter cranks hard but just doesnt start
ive got good fuel pressure. good connections with all of my wires, just doesn't kick over. luckily it is manual, and it starts up with a pull start, but it doesn't always stay running after I let off the throttle. if I let it sit for a whole it starts up no problem. and I can drive it for hours on e road without issues. has anyone ever had this problem. all input is greatly appreciated!:doh:

Mine Did That As Well, Turned Out I Was Getting Water In The Distributer Cap, Take The Cap And Rotor Off And Wipe Them Down If It Starts Fine There You Go. You Can Put A Bead Of Dielectric Grease Around The Rim Of The Cap To Help Keep The Water Out

trail abuse. sorry about that. I have replaced the ignition coil, and checked the distributor, thats all good. ive come to the conclusion that it is a fuel issue, so this weekend ill be replacing the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. ill let ya guys know if that fixes the issue.

well I changed the FPR and it fires up quicker than it did Pryor to the replacement, the old one also looked pretty gummed up so im hoping that that was the issue. wont know til I hit rhe trails on Tuesday though.

Was this an 88 Renix? The FPR was probably leaking fuel into the vacuum line.

Update... still having issues... replaced the FPR and its still doing it... @Ecomike it is 95... im really running out of ideas of what it could possibly be does ive heard about the auto shutdown relays going bad and doing things similar could that be it? or maybe there's a relay somewhere I cant see thats getting wet? idk im going crazy though...

CEL = check engine light.

Try holding the gas peddle to the flow while cranking. If it starts, it is getting flooded.

I would inspect the CPS for metal fines on the sensor, and or dirt on the sensor!!!! Clean the sensor. And check for exhaust leaks blowing on the sensor. Also check the PCM and sensor ground wires.

no cel?

I've seen O2 sensors cause funky problems after getting wet.
O2 sensors are not used by the PCM/ECUs in the staring sequence.

Doesn't matter. They're still connected and can cause trouble even during startup. Like I posted above .. I've seen it happen.

Doesn't matter. They're still connected and can cause trouble even during startup. Like I posted above .. I've seen it happen.

Only time I ever had that problem was when the O2 heater wire grounded out on my Renix to the driveshaft and tried to melt down the wiring all the way to the fuse links near the battery.

It still started up just fine even with i shorted.

Sorry guys I kind of neglected this thread. figured out though it as the CPS. I starts now and doesn't die, but.... I just burnt out my clutch womp womp womp...

Back