• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MIDAS blew up my Jeep ...

FlyNNN

NAXJA Forum User
... and I am pissed!! I have a 1990 RENIX that I have been keeping very good care of for the last 20 years. I had been noticing lately an exhaust leak at the muffler and my tailpipe was starting to fall apart. I had some time and money and thought one afternoon to drop it off at a closely located MIDAS to replace the muffler and tail pipe.

4 hrs. later when I come to pick up the vehicle, I was told by a mechanic that it overheated. I was shocked as the vehicle was working flawlessly prior to arrival. I paid the $417 bill for the muffler job and left.

During the next two weeks, I'm noticing the temperature gauge slowly start to creep right of centre. Yellow alert. I "burp" the system using the recommended procedure of tail up, removal of the coolant sensor at the back of the head and top up the coolant. I have a MAC coolant bottle on this as well which I had installed last June when I had another shop put in a new rad, thermostat, water pump, hoses and harmonic balancer. The system was running solid until I left MIDAS that fateful day.

I return my vehicle to the shop that did the work last June to see if it is some kind of warranty issue. Temperature gauge now getting close to the red zone on the gauge. Diagnosis performed and I am told exhaust gases are being detected in the coolant bottle. $200 bill for that diagnostic check. No warranty claim available, only an estimate to repair a blown head gasket for $3800.

I inform the MIDAS shop of the situation and they request I bring the vehicle in to them. I return the vehicle to them, the temperature gauge now in the red and I barely make it into the shop. They diagnose and confirm the exhaust gases in the coolant bottle and that their installation of the muffler/tailpipe is perfect. They state that their installation has/had nothing to do with the overheating problem and refuse to take any responsibility for the situation or provide any compensation.

My vehicle, DD, now sits in my driveway, unable to drive it any further as the condition has now gone into RED alert status and I can not drive it for more than five minutes after the thermostat opens and the gauge goes into the red zone.

I am open for suggestions.

No fan of chain muffler or lube shops here.......but do you have any proof that Midas caused your leaking head gasket?

The shops here to do a head gasket is about 2,500. Thats parts and labor plus sending the head out to be checked and all that. 3,800 to me is very high same with the 2,500. I know the 2,500 is right because a friend had there own shop and thats what all the shops here would quote. I prefer doing it my self because even if I send my head out my self I am into it about 500 bucks and a days work besides waiting on the head to come back.

Jeezus, I'd ship you a whole new salvage motor and fly up there to install it for less than that. That is ridiculous.

You need to figure out why it overheated - they don't just up and do that for no reason. Once a root cause is determined you can try and either blame them or fix it.

Unless they were screwing around under the hood for no reason, it shouldn't be their fault. A muffler and tailpipe is basically as unrelated to the cooling system as it gets.

1) Learn how to do your own vehicle work, and retire on the savings.

2) I am in the wrong business, I should be repairing jeeps for a living at those prices.

3) Add the following to the coolant (4) and say a lot of prayers, or learn how to swap a head gasket and do it yourself.

4) BarsLeaks head gasket sealer:

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/6-radiator-stop-leak-tablets-hdc

Try it first!!!

They have stronger stuff, but if the above does not stop the leak, I would pull the head.

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/brand/bar-s-leaks

5) check for an exhaust leak in the header blowing on the block bad enough to overheat it (you may have two problems!!!), rent the tester for free (Do they do that in Canada too?) and run the block leak test yourself.

Check for a bad EGR, stuck open...., check for a bad bottle cap not sealing anymore, check the E-Fan, Is it running, and when does it run, do not assume it is the head gasket until you confirm it!!! The test is cheap and easy to do your self!!!

If the head gasket has been leaking slowly for a while, it may have dropped the pH of the coolant and scaled up the new radiator!!!!

Last edited:

2) I am in the wrong business, I should be repairing jeeps a living at those prices.
X2!!!

A tailpipe is a "bring me 50 bucks and the parts and leave in an hour" job where I come from. And I'd feel a bit skeezy about asking that much.

LOL, I could buy 6 more jeeps with that much cash!!!!

Jeezus, I'd ship you a whole new salvage motor and fly up there to install it for less than that. That is ridiculous.

You need to figure out why it overheated - they don't just up and do that for no reason. Once a root cause is determined you can try and either blame them or fix it.

Unless they were screwing around under the hood for no reason, it shouldn't be their fault. A muffler and tailpipe is basically as unrelated to the cooling system as it gets.

X2!!!

A tailpipe is a "bring me 50 bucks and the parts and leave in an hour" job where I come from. And I'd feel a bit skeezy about asking that much.

Same here on the poor side of Houston. Maybe $100 for the labor and parts and done while you wait 30-60 minutes.

No fan of chain muffler or lube shops here.......but do you have any proof that Midas caused your leaking head gasket?

"Speak the Truth-Question with Boldness-Speak without fear." An appropriate statement which I follow. The facts that I have are as follows;

1. A NAPA shop did extensive cooling system work 10 months prior. No leaking head gasket reported.

2. System has been running without a hick-up since.

3. A lot of air is bubbling around in the coolant bottle now which is noticeable and audible. I had not detected any such noises before.

4. Vehicle goes in with no overheating problem - vehicle comes out with overheating problem.

Forgot to mention mileage on vehicle, 206km, approx. 135k miles.

Re: Re: MIDAS blew up my Jeep ...

2) I am in the wrong business, I should be repairing jeeps for a living at those prices.
This

I have nothing to say other than black text on a black background does not work, I can't see any of your posts on tapatalk. Why did you feel the need to change the default font?

I agree that this is a strong coincidence. The only mechanical explanation I can come up with is that all the holes in your exhaust system might have allowed for reduced pressure at the exhaust ports and that once the new exhaust was installed and exhaust pressure returned to normal, it was too much for the old head gasket to handle.

The '90 heads are pretty sturdy so I wouldn't immediately suspect a head crack so if it were me, I would run out to Canadian Tire, pick up a new head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket and do a quick swap. Just to cover all the bases and to gain a couple of extra HP, I might even run over to the local Pick-a-part and grab a head off of a '91-'95 and swap that sucker out while you are at it. Probably talking about a days work and a $150.

Where did they drive it that made it overheat? A muffler and tailpipe installation shouldn't take 4 hours or even require a test drive. I doubt it would overheat driving from the service bay to the parking lot.

Where did they drive it that made it overheat? A muffler and tailpipe installation shouldn't take 4 hours or even require a test drive. I doubt it would overheat driving from the service bay to the parking lot.

Agree.

Your exhaust work required that the engine be started, driven a few feet into the shop, racked--engine off--repairs done and driven a few feet out of the shop.

What were they doing with your Jeep?

LIST PRICE AT NAPA:

Head gasket kit: $120.50
Head bolts set: $66.78
Oil
Oil filter
Coolant
Thread sealer

Local machine shop clean, pressure test, surface--no valve job--$105.00

Flat rate labor: 8-9 hours.

So that means UNDER $400.00 for parts and sublet.

So, $3800 - 400 = $3400. That is ONE HECK OF A LOT OF MONEY FOR 8-9 hours labor.

1. NEVER use MIDAS, find a local shop with a good reputation.

2. RUN, don't walk, away from that $3800 shop--find a local shop with a good reputation.

$3800 for a head gasket???? I hope you added a zero to that by mistake.
Nope. All zero's in place. Thats with a new head. See link below; MIDAS invoice below as well.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5854/estimate2.jpg
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2199/midas2p.jpg

The shops here to do a head gasket is about 2,500. Thats parts and labor plus sending the head out to be checked and all that. 3,800 to me is very high same with the 2,500. I know the 2,500 is right because a friend had there own shop and thats what all the shops here would quote. I prefer doing it my self because even if I send my head out my self I am into it about 500 bucks and a days work besides waiting on the head to come back.
You are correct on the details. See above link

Jeezus, I'd ship you a whole new salvage motor and fly up there to install it for less than that. That is ridiculous. You need to figure out why it overheated - they don't just up and do that for no reason. Once a root cause is determined you can try and either blame them or fix it. Unless they were screwing around under the hood for no reason, it shouldn't be their fault. A muffler and tailpipe is basically as unrelated to the cooling system as it gets.
Yes, I mentioned that to the NAPA estimator that places around here are selling a complete motor for around $2000. I was told constantly by everyone at MIDAS about being unrelated. My response was what happens when you block off the exhaust? Something happened in that shop to tick this motor off.

3) Add the following to the coolant (4) and say a lot of prayers, or learn how to swap a head gasket and do it yourself.
4) BarsLeaks head gasket sealer:
http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/6-radiator-stop-leak-tablets-hdc
They have stronger stuff, but if the above does not stop the leak, I would pull the head.
http://barsproducts.com/catalog/brand/bar-s-leaks
5) check for an exhaust leak in the header blowing on the block bad enough to overheat it (you may have two problems!!!), rent the tester for free (Do they do that in Canada too?) and run the block leak test yourself.
Check for a bad EGR, stuck open...., check for a bad bottle cap not sealing anymore, check the E-Fan, Is it running, and when does it run, do not assume it is the head gasket until you confirm it!!! The test is cheap and easy to do your self!!!
If the head gasket has been leaking slowly for a while, it may have dropped the pH of the coolant and scaled up the new radiator!!!!

I do what I can do for a shade tree mechanic. Pulling the head and changing the gasket, up to this point, is beyond my comfort zone. Although, I did contemplate removing a pristine 90' RENIX head that I came across this winter when I visited the local Pick'n"Pull. I didn't think I'd be needing a head any time soon.

Check for exhaust leak? Isn't that something MIDAS should have done and may have caused? ... getting back to the theory of being an unrelated issue I don't buy into.

Bad EGR, I have a few of those here that I got from the JY. I'll look into that.

Bottle from MAC's. Aluminum. Seals very well. Everything OK there.

E-Fan. Runs but does not seem to be running as long as it should when I turn on the AC. I've got the gap problem with the AC compressor clutch not engaging when it heats up.

Regarding any fluid leaks, there were none. Coolant. Oil. Leak free.

This I have nothing to say other than black text on a black background does not work, I can't see any of your posts on tapatalk. Why did you feel the need to change the default font?

Just for you. Hope you like red.

I agree that this is a strong coincidence. The only mechanical explanation I can come up with is that all the holes in your exhaust system might have allowed for reduced pressure at the exhaust ports and that once the new exhaust was installed and exhaust pressure returned to normal, it was too much for the old head gasket to handle.

The '90 heads are pretty sturdy so I wouldn't immediately suspect a head crack so if it were me, I would run out to Canadian Tire, pick up a new head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket and do a quick swap. Just to cover all the bases and to gain a couple of extra HP, I might even run over to the local Pick-a-part and grab a head off of a '91-'95 and swap that sucker out while you are at it. Probably talking about a days work and a $150.

Seems logical to me regarding the pressure.
Regarding the gaskets and the quick swap. Wow. I haven't done. I'm scared. I removed my fuel rail/injectors last year which has been the extent of my expertise in that area.
As mentioned previously, I lost my chance for a head during my last visit to the JY. Just checked, no Jeeps on site. I wish it is simple as you stated. I'm no professional mechanic.

?? I don't get it either. They said it overheated while it was on the hoist.

Whew! I've never had such a lengthy reply. Thanks ALL for your input.

PS. joe_peters - your response just came in while I was posting. I'll get back to you on my next post.

If you do decide to try to tackle this it really isn't too hard. Here is a video on Youtube of a guy who documented the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29I5fNAv-8M

I have no doubt that you could fix it since it really isn't that hard (except for trying to lift the head off/on. the darn thing is heavy) but I must admit that you need a variety of tools and the whole process could get a little pricey if you need to buy a torque wrench and a set of appropriate sockets/wrenches.

Whoa! I can buy a whole new late model Jeep for that money...

$417 for a muffler job... I paid $75 bucks for all new muffler, tail pipe and labor.

Living in Edmonton means getting hosed regularly on all things Automotive. Flynn isn't crazy, just a typical frustrated Edmonton consumer. There's no 2k crate motor here, and anything coming across the border from the South comes with a juicy shipping charge, and a gallon of obscene, "brokerage," fees. Shops here get away with charging whatever they want because enough of their consumer base works out of town for nearly a month at a time, and is willing to spend whatever they have to to get their junk fixed on 4 days off.

It's a pity Edmonton is so damn far from the US border, because my next suggestion was going to be to have one of the just-across-the-border US NAXJA members put a new exhaust on their jeep (loosely), drive it up to you, drop it off, then drive back exhaustless and put theirs back on.

Back