• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM 8.25's with 4.10:1 gears?

Just out of curiosity, were any 8.25's ever installed in XJs with 4.10:1 gears from the factory, or were they all D35's?
If it came from a 4-cyl/manual XJ it will have 4.10s

Last edited:
The answer to the question is yes.

The tough one is what years the XJ was made in a 4 cylinder and 8.25 Axle.

I would certainly believe 97 and newer.

The answer to the question is yes.

The tough one is what years the XJ was made in a 4 cylinder and 8.25 Axle.

I would certainly believe 97 and newer.
As far as I know, the same rule applies for 2.5L as the 4.0L, ABS = D35, non-ABS= 8.25
And, if you're lucky enough to find an 87 it may have a D44.

Right on, that's what I figured. I know the 27/29-spline split occurred in ~96.5 which I'm bearing in mind before I go tearing open differentials.

Also, I noticed on the XJ Wikipedia page (hate to use it as a resource but sometimes it's valuable) that some 4-cylinder automatic XJ's had 4.56 gears. Somehow I doubt this.

Can anyone back up the veracity of this claim?

... some 4-cylinder automatic XJ's had 4.56 gears. Somehow I doubt this. Can anyone back up the veracity of this claim?

Its true. One of the guys in my local club has one.

I don't recall having seen a 97+ with a 4-cylinder.

I have seen only 2 out of hundreds of XJ's at the junkyard. One was 2wd and one was 4x4. They both had 4.10's and one had a Chry 8.25.

I can't verify the source, but this is what I have in my notes:

2.5L I4 MPI (multi-port injection) - 130 hp @ 5250 rpm, 139 ft lb @ 3250 rpm - used in 91-00

Also, I noticed on the XJ Wikipedia page (hate to use it as a resource but sometimes it's valuable) that some 4-cylinder automatic XJ's had 4.56 gears. Somehow I doubt this.

Can anyone back up the veracity of this claim?

The 2.5L/AW4 combo got 4.56's. I've parted out a couple of them.

JIM.

Thanks for all the info guys - really appreciate it.

Gonna make a trip to Pick n' Pull this weekend. 33 XJs currently on the lot if they're to be believed.

Back