• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ problems again

Gnarlyrider27

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 92 xj with the 4.0 is having problems once again. Had fixed the oil leak and ran great for a week and not one drip of oil and drove it yesterday to town to get my buddys parts to fix his truck and was at one of the Napas and backed up and put it into drive and sounded like I lost a drive line. The guys in napa could hear it but rolled the jeep about 10 feet forward and got out and looked all under it. Didnt see anything broken or anything. So had to take my buddy to Big 5 to get some stuff so the mile drive there we both watch my tires carefully making sure it wasnt a axle. Got to Big 5 and we both got under it and he noticed that my rear brake line is leaking and bad. Thats the only thing we could see wrong but dont see how it made that much noise or even how. So we took it slow going back to my house but had to go back roads which was up hill so didnt have to rake until I had to stop at the top of the mountain and pull out on the hwy and drove down 150 feet to my road. By time I got in my yard I had no brakes at all. Well parked were I normally do and besides the brake line I once again have a major oil leak. This is the worst jeep I have owned. I have already put more into it then I paid for and in only 3 months. I know I need to open up my rear end and stuff but not even sure I want to mess with the jeep anymore. I am already 4k into parts and stuff in 3 months. I could have had my grandpas old chevy tricked out and done for that.

4K into parts........ sounds like you are throwing parts at it to me unless you are including the cost of "optional" parts you have added that have nothing to do with its running condition.... look at all the u-joints. axle and driveshaft u-joints. Make sure all the caps are there and that the joints are intact. Is this an auto or manual trans? How are the motor mounts? How is the transmission mount? The brake line or brake hose broke? Where is the "major" oil leak you are getting again? Is it 4x4? Transfer case lever might have been moved by something catching the handle just enough to make it try to engage but just catch/grind the teeth instead. Way to many possibilities with out having it to look at in front of me....

oh and check your rear axle u-bolts that hold the axle to the leaf springs. I have seen them get loose and have bad axle flex and cause the u-joints to bind bad under laod but look normal without any load

I am 4k with tires, new parts, part jeep and a few other stuff. Its a auto and 4x4. All my U joints are brand new. about a month old or so. Has brand new motor mounts and transmission mount. U bolts are tight. Its a brake hose thats leaking and it has been replaced not even a year ago when the PO put the lift on it. And my oil leak is in the same spot as it has been the last 4 times. Rear main area. Its only wet from that point down and trust me I have checked 4 times and had 2 buddys check and everywhere else is dry so only thing I can think of is RMS.

Does this one have an ABS system on it? You shouldn't be losing fluid like that (and brakes!) I had the pump go bad on my '90, which essentially pumped all the fluid out onto the road and left me none left to brake with.

Since I didn't see your original thread about the leak, I'm guessing you have replaced the RMS? If you havn't, it's probably something worth doing. The main issue I had when I did the RMS in my other jeep (renix 89) was getting the pan back on and sealed. To finally do it right (after going through 3 gaskets) I dropped the lower control arms so the axle would drop far enough that I didn't have to drag the pan over the axle, screwing up the RTV on top of the pan.

The RMS is stupid easy to replace, but all the other stuff you have to take apart to get to it, that's where it's a bitch.

It had ABS on it. The PO swapped out the dana 35 and but a Chrysler 8 1/4 with a locker in it. But in 2 miles I drove Saturday when I noticed the brake fluid leaking I lost it all. I have done the RMS 4 times. The last time I pulled the engine because I also wanted to clean everything too. I put the RMS in right and I made sure the oil pan gasket went on right and still have a leak. So this thing has me stumped. Still could be a bent oil pan but idk. I figured if it was bent even with the 20W-50 and that blue devil rear main stop leak it wouldnt have stopped the leak for the week.

Ok, if you're blowing RMS's that way you have a pressure build up problem in the crank case. In the renix XJ's the main large diameter PCV hose that comes out of the valve cover and connects to the back of the airbox often gets flow restricted/kinked, if this is the case this is the origin of your problem. What I typically do is take the hose, and put a 90deg elbow in it about 3" away from the airbox, that way the tube doesn't need to make a 180deg bend.

Ok I might have to change my PCV cause I believe its broken and that is one of my problems because the 90deg broke off with the PO and he ram the hose on it so it has a slight kink in it

The PCV hose normally loops over the top, and then to the back of the air box, if it gets any kinks in it, then it will blow the RMS usually within a few weeks, I had the same problem on my previous jeep. Normally the jeep comes with a hose that is designed to follow the bend without kinking, when that rots out (like any piece of rubber does after 20 years of oil exposure) people put a chunk of 5/8 heater hose on it, and call it a day, that's when they start having issues.

What I did was take the 5/8" hose, cut it about 3" from the airbox, and stick a 90deg PCV elbow in, so it would still make the turn without kinking.

So I was checking the pics you posted on the "oil leak again" thread

IMG_20130513_143449_zpsbe05bda9.jpg

And I see the problem, your PCV hose (positive crank case ventilation) is kinked. It looks like someone did a bit of relocation of stuff on your airbox, which is a mod I have done in the past and is a good idea, however you need to have a real elbow in there. A normal cherokee motor has a little rubber/plastic gromet that goes in that hole and it comes out at a 90deg angle pointing at about the 4:30 position and then runs into a tube that runs through that complicated doodad located on the front of the intake manifold, turns 90deg and then runs to the back of the box.

It also looks like the PO did quite a bit of upgrading in there, the booster is upgraded, not sure about master cylinder, but it's not a 1990 renix, the airbox cover looks like it's probably out of a later model the intake on the throttle body is definitely not from a 1990.

One thing I'm a little afraid to ask about... what's that hose running along the front right there? Looks like it runs over top of the t-stat housing.

My Jeep is a 92. On the air box it looks like everything is where it should be. The PO said that only upgrades done to the jeep was the lift and tires. I am the 3rd owner of this one and was all stock tell the PO. Te hoses there are the over flow hose and the upper radiator hose. I can get a full engine view if you like.

BINGO!!!!!!

Ya so thats one problem down 2 more to go. I jacked up my rear end put it in neutral and spun the drive side tire. The PO said it had a locker in it but when its jacked up and in neutral and I spin a tire just that tire spins and the whole time I here a clicking noise. I have had trucks with lockers and never heard them click and when it was jacked up I spun a tire both would spin. When I moved the jeep this morning I put a load on my drive train just to make sure and got hard on the gas and both rear tires would spin. Any ideas.

Well looks like a lunchbox to me and now that I have seen it and seen how it works I figured out my clicking and all that. Still need to figure out what made that noise the other day because it sounded like something broken in half and I don't see anything wrong or broken anywhere under the jeep.

Not uncommon for a locker to "unload" creating a loud metallic BANG. Mine has done it a couple times over the years, usually when I'm getting out of a parking spot. Not sure if your locker does it, but my Detroit does.

Ok so I could had just put to much of a load on it and it unloaded. Thats the first time I ever heard it if thats what happen. Hoping thats all it was then all I would have to do then is fix my brake line and wait for the PCV elbow to come in.

Back