• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences in a good and weak power steering pump?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
With the pump out and in hand, how can you tell if a power steering pump is in good/great shape and not weak or broken? Reason being is mine is weak/broke and there is a pump I can get for $40 which would save me compare to $70-$120 for a pump. I have a 97' 4.0l. Any advice or even a site for the cheapest ish power steering pump would be greatly appreciated

1. What size TIRES/WHEELS are you running? Lifted? Steering/suspension mods?

2. How do you use your XJ?

3. Is a stock pump, operating within spec, adequate for your needs or do you need something of an upgrade/exotic nature?

im only running 235/75/15 tires and 15" wheels
biggest I'm going is 33" tires
its a daily driver/weekend warrior
as far as reading, stock pump will work well for those specs, I'm not making a hardcore crawler, its going to be a expedition/exploration rig

why?

I replace them with used all the time at work... most of the time they're fine. Sometimes I get a bad one... C'est la vie

I just installed a reman from NAPA for under 60 bucks out the door with tax. Pt # NSP 811322. Lifetime warranty. Why take a chance to save $20.

under $60?!?!? well hell I was seeing $70 and up and I figured getting a used could work, but for that price that be nice, does it come with the reservoir or not?

That part number is no reservoir, no pulley. So plan on renting the puller, maybe buying a new pulley and screwing around with it for a while.

I pull junkyard ones usually... preferably from crashed/rolled/rotted out donors.

Back