• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end clunking when turning

2001JeepXJNS

NAXJA Forum User
So on the way home today I noticed the front end making a clunking sound when turning into my neighborhood. Besides the noise it also felt like there was something wrong, could kinda of feel the clunks on the steering wheel if that makes sense. Have not noticed it until now but it doesnt mean the problem didnt start until now. The weather is finally nice enough that I can have the window open and would be able to hear anything.

Any guesses?

Last edited:
Also only makes the noise while driving. Checked it in the driveway and no noise, turns smooth. Drove it around the block and pops even while driving slow around corners, seems to be coming from both sides. Track bar maybe?

Next, check the front axle u-joints for looseness or binding.

Check Track bar for looseness and check track bar ends for play.

Grease every zerk you can find under there. You'll be surprised what a difference that makes.

Also, A while ago I had one of my springs out and noticed the rubber isolator that goes on top of the spring had worn through to metal. I just replaced mine last weekend and it made a significant improvement.

And the track bar frame side bracket.

Back