• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a tough one for you guys...

willmurf

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Firstly thanks for having me. I've heard great things about the site and found many answers on here but now I have a question to ask. It's a tough one.
When the exported the XJ to Australia and UK they added a security feature that, as far as I'm aware, isn't standard on the US model. Now my security module itself has played up on my 97 post update and long story short cannot be replaced nor disabled. Trust me. So what I've done is take the PCM out of a 96 pre update without security which works fine, surprisingly. The engine runs smooth, adjusts mixtures, etc. My problem lies in the gauges cluster. None of which work. Now here's my question... Why? Haha. Do i swap out sensors for 96 sensors or rewire the gauges themselves? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If you remove the security module and get a non security 97 PCM you should be good to go. Just make sure that the security module is disabled when you key on the first time or it will activate the security in the PCM.

Otherwise you will have to retro back to 96 gauges and rewire the dash... yuck.

The 96 PCM is designed to work with the old 96 and down instrument cluster, which used individual wires for each gauge instead of a data bus.

Digger is correct, get an ECU for a non security 97 with the same engine and transmission as yours and pull the security module off the wiring harness before you plug it in and it should work. I am not sure if there is a way to make the security system work again, hopefully sidewaysstarion sees this as I'm pretty sure he would know.

I believe they actually did have security system availability here in the US (it's called SKIM - security key immobilization module) but it was much less common.

Damnit, I wasn't sure and googled it and of course I found someone who was wrong. Go figure :dunce:

Ok so on to computer number 3 i suppose. Does anyone know exactly where the security module is located? That way i can return the favor and immobilize the mongrel thing. Also, any ideas where to get a computer without security turned on? There are a lot floating around ebay but when i ask the question the answer is always pretty vague...

Ok so on to computer number 3 i suppose. Does anyone know exactly where the security module is located?

See pics below.

That way i can return the favor and immobilize the mongrel thing.

You don't have to remove it, just disconnect it.

Also, any ideas where to get a computer without security turned on? There are a lot floating around ebay but when i ask the question the answer is always pretty vague...

Not sure about Non-SKIS PCM's but here's some 1997 PCM part numbers:

56041277AD - 4.0L, Auto Trans, Federal Emission

5604278AD - 4.0L, Auto Trans, Export Package & California/Export Emission

Here's some pics of the skim.

SKIM installed (Without connector installed):

SKIM connector:

The SKIM:

Here's how the skim module works, When the key is turned on the SKIM powers up and sends a message over the CCD bus to the PCM and says "Hey, I'm a SKIM module" when the PCM gets this message it enables the security bit, which can't easily be turned out off tools available to the public. From then on, that PCM is going to need an all clear from the SKIM to keep the vehicle running longer then 5 seconds. So essentially if you bought a non security enabled PCM and plugged it into your jeep without first unplugging the SKIM, you now have a security enabled PCM that you can't do anything with.

If you had access to a DRBIII you could try setting the vin in the PCM to match the vehicle and the cluster and then replacing your dead SKIM module, or you could just unplug the SKIM and find a 97-98 ecu that is not security enabled.

It's a 4.0L petrol. Now I'm confused though. A SKIM is key controlled and resides near the ignition? My security is fob controlled and i have been told it is in the passenger door, under the dash, overhead console and near the handbrake. Got me beat... I can upload a pic of the ECU? (PCM?)

It's technically an ECU on the 4.0 since it only manages the engine, on 2.5s it is a PCM since it also manages the transmission (on auto models.)

Pull the trim off the steering column, if that funky plastic ring thing with a box and an electrical cable is looped around the ignition tumbler, that's the SKIS/SKIM.

My security is fob controlled and i have been told it is in the passenger door, under the dash, overhead console and near the handbrake.

Can you provide a picture of said fob?

If it is some form of aftermarket system for an easy install I would place it on the steel plate under the steering column. There is plenty of room there and makes for easy access to most of the wires needed.

1997 models did not have the SKIM/SKIS setup.
As said it was imported to Australia and/or the UK. We don't know when so it could have been added at a later date or could have been an option in those countries before the US has it. They did have different specs and features on foreign XJs. For example we never got the XJ Orvis or stealth editions.

AiTwqNm.jpg

Back