• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory skid plate issue

REVROK

NAXJA Forum User
okay so I have a 1991 limited I tried to put on a factory skid plate over the gas tank and apparently I have a non standard size gas tank and it won't fit over the outer lip. So my question is do you think that I can lay over the lip with a hammer in order to get the skid plate on? I have to admit even saying it sounds mildly crazy. Yet I really do need that skid plate.

Modify the skid.

I wish modifying the skid would work ... the only way to do it would be to cut the skid which would just destroy structural integrity ... you know I have to bend over the lip where the two sections of the tank are held together or I have to get a stock gas tank.

Did you remove/cut the plastic "cover" that sits on the bottom of the gas tank? That was my issue. Did you get a 96-down or 97-up skid?

I wish modifying the skid would work ... the only way to do it would be to cut the skid which would just destroy structural integrity ... you know I have to bend over the lip where the two sections of the tank are held together or I have to get a stock gas tank.

As you have a 91, if you screw-the-pooch on the tank you can buy another one easily--the plastic tanks for the 97 are history.

One rule my Father hammered into me--when working on anything, best to mess with the cheaper and easily replaceable part. It was good advice.

While modifying the skid may involve some cutting and welding, maybe the addition of some more metal, I would rather have to repair/replace the skid than the tank. The last skid I picked up off of Craigslist was $50 and it came with a bonus factory TC skid.

It's definitely the older skidplate. From what I can see I have to get a used smaller tank or make this one work with ye olde BFH. The lip around the tank actually extends to almost the center of the nutstrip holes when looked at from below. I don't see how any modification of the skid fixes that, but as long as I don't spring a leak in the process I can bend over the lip to "help" with the fit. Tanks appear to be $100 for the part though, I see what you mean Joe, just can't see how to make it work... Grrr, very frustrating.

It's definitely the older skidplate. From what I can see I have to get a used smaller tank or make this one work with ye olde BFH. The lip around the tank actually extends to almost the center of the nutstrip holes when looked at from below. I don't see how any modification of the skid fixes that, but as long as I don't spring a leak in the process I can bend over the lip to "help" with the fit. Tanks appear to be $100 for the part though, I see what you mean Joe, just can't see how to make it work... Grrr, very frustrating.

Understand your frustration.

Post up a couple pictures--someone might have some ideas.

What about cutting the sides of the skid, and extending them out slightly to fit over. Just a thought if "bending" the lip doesn't work.

Did you remove/cut the plastic "cover" that sits on the bottom of the gas tank? That was my issue. Did you get a 96-down or 97-up skid?

Many XJ's come with a plastic covering between the straps that support the fuel tank and the tank itself. Trim the edges on both side using a sharp knife or a metal shears to the same width of the tank then put the skid on. Unless you cut this plastic back or remove it completely, the gas tank skid will not go on. I had to do this to a friends 1992 model as well as the 1994 I previously owned and the 1996 I now own.

Many XJ's come with a plastic covering between the straps that support the fuel tank and the tank itself. Trim the edges on both side using a sharp knife or a metal shears to the same width of the tank then put the skid on. Unless you cut this plastic back or remove it completely, the gas tank skid will not go on. I had to do this to a friends 1992 model as well as the 1994 I previously owned and the 1996 I now own.

Yes... already trimmed. The metal lip is the problem. I think I may cut the plate in half and fabricate a skid from this one with the welder.

Back