• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cloyes timing set not fitting

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting a new silent type cloyes timing set on my 89.
The set that I bought is for a 98 and I was of the understanding it would fit....the old gears slide easily on and off while the new set won't go on the crank or the cam either.....
I put my digital caliper on both sets and the new set has an ID that is slightly smaller...is this a quality control problem or are newer timing sets smaller inner diameters?
I know the silent type sets are only available from 94 and up so I ordered that because I want the heavier chain and gears instead of the bicycle chain that come with timing sets 93 and down

I have no clue about what the diameters are, but if you take both sets to a machine shop they will be able to modify the new set to match the old set. If there is no keyway in the gears, they can be honed (which would be better and cheaper anyway).

Another thing that comes to mind:

Try and find another way to measure more accurately. If the new set is smaller by only 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch, get a suitable container and fill with motor oil and drop in the gear. Heat on a hot plate as hot as you can get it and the gear should go on the shaft.

Keep in mind that you have a very small time frame to work with (seconds). Once the gear contacts the shaft it will start losing heat and begin to shrink back down on the I.D.

HTH...

1. It would be nice to know what engine is in your 89 XJ.

2. What Cloyes part number do you have?

3. Have you tried contacting tech support at Cloyes?

89xj 4.0
cloyes part # c3041
Exchanged this set for the identical set and this one is a tad better but will still need to use a rubber mallet or dead low hammer to get them to fully seat....looks like its cloyes quality control that's the issue here,I'll be calling them in the AM to see what they say about this...
The first set wouldn't even begin to go on....this one is better but still TIGHT!

The set that I had on there was made by SA gear and both the crank and cam gears slide on and off easily

Ok.

Thank you for the additional info.

As you yourself stated, that C3041 is not the correct application for your engine, you should be using the C3085.

That said, Cloyes tech support may not be very helpful, other than to tell you that you have the wrong parts for your engine.

I would say that clears Cloyes quality control as the issue.

WHERE or WHO (whom?) told you that you could make the C3041 work on your engine? It might be an issue of a little judicious sanding of the gears, but you would have to mic the surfaces to see how much clearance you need.

Good luck--and if it works for you, please post up because I have thought of using that same part number on my 90.

As you yourself stated, that C3041 is not the correct application for your engine, you should be using the C3085.

The camshaft and crankshaft diameters never changed through the years, what did change was the chain style and tooth style, which would not effect his problem nor have a bearing on installation (unless we are talking about the 99+ timing set)

Sometimes some sets are harder to get on then others as well as varnish and dirt build up on the cam and cranks could hamper installation. Could be a quality control issue as well or packing grease build up on the ID of the gears. As suggested a little bit of sanding won't hurt, just clean them well prior to installation.

Also, make sure you are putting the gears on parallel to each other. EG don't angle one or the other as it can make installation difficult.

they are typically a slight interference fit anyways. a little love tap to seat them is not uncommon, but you shouldn't be peeling slivers of metal off either...

Ok.

Thank you for the additional info.

That said, Cloyes tech support may not be very helpful, other than to tell you that you have the wrong parts for your engine.

I would say that clears Cloyes quality control as the issue.

WHERE or WHO (whom?) told you that you could make the C3041 work on your engine? It might be an issue of a little judicious sanding of the gears, but you would have to mic the surfaces to see how much clearance you need.

Good luck--and if it works for you, please post up because I have thought of using that same part number on my 90.
The cam and crank diameters never changed...only thing that changed is they went to a cam retainer on the 99 and up motors

Back