• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 axle end play ?

94sport

NAXJA Forum User
Hi y'all, I have a bone stock 92 that has been all over the road like a boat. I replaced the steering box, track bar, 4 shocks, tie rod ends, and the steering stabilizer feels good and I don't feel play in the front ball joints.

Today I grabbed a hold of the rear tire and I can move the passenger axle in and out enough to where I hear a clunk? At first I thought my lug nuts were loose but they were tight.

Is this end play normal on a c-clip axle? I have been noticing a suspicous clunk coming from the rear especially when I first start driving it that seems to lessen or disappear after a few miles of driving but everything else looks good. This end play seems odd to me and I think it could be the cause of the vehicle wandering all over.

I have a D44 sitting as a spare but did not want to pull the 8.25 yet if it was not necessary.

If jeeper John or someone who works on rear ends can comment on the end play I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi y'all, I have a bone stock 92 that has been all over the road like a boat. I replaced the steering box, track bar, 4 shocks, tie rod ends, and the steering stabilizer feels good and I don't feel play in the front ball joints.

Today I grabbed a hold of the rear tire and I can move the passenger axle in and out enough to where I hear a clunk? At first I thought my lug nuts were loose but they were tight.

Is this end play normal on a c-clip axle? I have been noticing a suspicous clunk coming from the rear especially when I first start driving it that seems to lessen or disappear after a few miles of driving but everything else looks good. This end play seems odd to me and I think it could be the cause of the vehicle wandering all over.

I have a D44 sitting as a spare but did not want to pull the 8.25 yet if it was not necessary.

If jeeper John or someone who works on rear ends can comment on the end play I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Lol

yes, there is a noticeable noise (clunk like) as you move the shafts in and out. It won't move far though. this is consistent with most C-clip axles.

In and out is normal. About 1/2" is common.

Ron

it should be nowhere near 1/2", more like a 1/16". it should just barely move enough to fell/hear the slight clunk. the c clip keeps the shaft for going out, the crosspin keeps it from going in.

Yep. I've seen around 1/16-3/32 with no issue. If you are hearing a clunk when entering and leaving corners, maybe worry about it, but a clunk on a straightaway shouldn't be related.

Back