• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing smoke on hills/pressure spike???

TB2Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 2001 XJ that smokes like crazy from under the hood when I'm going up a steep climb. When it starts smoking I can see about a 20 psi spike in oil pressure. The smoke doesn't smell sweet like antifreeze but it isn't a very dark color either. Anyone know what would cause this? I have searched with not much luck so I figured I would ask.

Under heavy load it's not uncommon for the AW4 trans to basically boil over and cause a leak with heavy smoking as it pours out. This can happen if the trans is over-filled. Check your level.

Under heavy load it's not uncommon for the AW4 trans to basically boil over and cause a leak with heavy smoking as it pours out. This can happen if the trans is over-filled. Check your level.

Agree, this is a WAY COMMON occurrence.

The 20 psi spike in oil pressure is very odd!!!!!

Steam in the pressurized oil line perhaps?

Or a problem with the oil pressure sensor, bad data and an oil leak from the sensor at the same time?

Clogged Cat, getting cherry red, burning the oil and building back pressure in the crankcase spiking the oil pressure (I had this happen once, bad CAT!!!).

Check the connector, connection on the oil sensor and look for a leak there.

I am assuming the 20 psi oil pressure spike is a 20 psi increase? Is that correct?

With out the pressure spike, I would think transmission fluid on the steep climb, or the oil from the RMS, getting on the exhaust pipe.

Back