• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ suspension noise FIXED.

scot4free

NAXJA Forum User
Has a clunk and wandering steering. Changed tie rods and ball joints. Steering damper too.
Did not fix it much.

It was the dang Track Bar. It looked so innocent sitting there...never would have thought how important it is.

The clunk I felt under my foot is gone and the steering is much better. Still lots of play, but now it "tracks" much more straight on the road.

I'm going to adjust the steering box allen nut/screw next to see if that helps the play.

I'm going to adjust the steering box allen nut/screw next to see if that helps the play.

Might want to hold off on that until you're certain everything else is right. It isn't often they need any adjustment. You still need to look at your sway bar mounts and links, be sure everything is up to snuff before potentially damaging a good steering box.

adjusting that box in the vehicle is really not recommended. It's only meant to be done on the bench with a fairly precise procedure (I'd put it roughly on the level of setting up a diff, comparing the FSM sections) and doing it wrong can result in it seizing at random when it reaches operating temperature.

Back