• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gearbox Care

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I noticed that a lot of play in my steering seems to be where my (aftermarket) steering arm actually attaches to the output splines of the steering gearbox. It looks like just tightening the nut would help, but if I recall correctly overtightening or using an impact wrench to tighten it will seriously damage the gearbox. This gearbox is already on it's last legs, and I don't want to push it. Opinions??

Are you saying the Pitman arm is loose on the steering box output shaft; or that the drag link is loose at the Pitman arm?

if the pitman arm is loose on the sector shaft, then you have something special going on...

I would look into a new pitman.

if the sector shaft is loose in the box, you have a worn out bearing.... something that is not uncommon.

Sounds like it's loose where the pitman arm meets the shaft on the steering box. Definately not good. I'd check if the bolt is tight, and then pull the pitman arm and check the splines on both parts. If they are worn or damaged on either I would replace that part immediately. A loose pitman arm is a huge, huge safety issue.

I haven't heard that an impact is bad to use on the pitman arm nut and I did use one when I swapped boxes recently. Is it the vibration that is bad for the box, or just overtightening the nut?

Be careful. I just tightened up my pitman. Did some creekbed and stripped the splines. Noticed really weird steering when I hit the highway. Sector shaft was minty. Just put a new pitman arm on

Re: Re: Steering Gearbox Care

Actually I think it is both. So no problems to crank on it with an impact wrench?

Just curious as to what constitues overtight?
Spec is 185 ft-lbs ... you have to try really hard to go overboard on that.
But, if the pitman simply slips on with little effort, or doesn't need to be pulled on with the nut ... I'd be concerned.

Back