• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joints -- too many choices!

HappyDog

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to order new U-joints for my new-to-me '97 and I am confused by all the choices.

At RockAuto, for instance, I can order
Moog Premium, which is greasable, for $8
Moog Super Strength, which is _not_ greasable, for $11
Moog Greasable Super Strength for $13,
or AC/Delco or OMIX-ADA, or lots of others.

This is mainly a highway rig but sometimes I get out in the desert or White Mountains and get to go on decent dirt and gravel trails. If you know Silver Canyon or 5S116 in the White Mountains this is about as exciting as I get. This is NOT a rock-crawler -- it's not lifted and never will be!

I'm thinking the $8 Moog "Premiums" would probably be fine -- am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

--HappyDog

I'm going to go a different way and say "Whatever works".

I can honestly say that since I have used Precision, NAPA, and Spicer, I really haven't seen a difference except in seals, and none in the performance department. If the joint is greasable, then even that should be a non-issue for a mostly road driven stock XJ.

the spicer ones are definetly the highest quality of OEMs...

but for you, anything will work. I prefer the greasable kind for road rigs/DDs

Thanks everyone!

--HappyDog

Driveshaft ujoints? Whatever, but Spicer 5-153x joints are cheap on northerndrivetrain.

Axleshaft ujoints? Spicer only (Neapco in a pinch if I can't get anything else), 5-760x again from northerndrivetrain.

Every time I have used a BS parts store (Precision, Brute Force, whatever) ujoint in my driveshafts, it has worn out within around 10k miles, and cost way more than a Spicer from northerndrivetrain/the local Crown dealer/alljeep. So I'm not willing to give them a chance in an axleshaft except as an emergency spare when I didn't have time to wait for shipping.

Back