• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joints ????

kamakazi bush bum

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys! Hoping u all could help me out. I've done a bunch of searchs and have come up almost empty :( Is there a ball joint size differance between pre '89 D30s and '90 and up? Cause I bought a used d30 off a local board that came with new upper and lower ball joints still in the boxs. So I got them pressed in and now my steering knuckles won't go on. I was told that it was a '98 axle but he got it from a guy and never used it soooo u know how that goes :) I'm wondering if the ball joints might be for another vehicle or earlier xj. I just don't know though so any help would be appreciated :) thanks oh ya I can find new steering knuckles for sale that are for '90 and up that's why I'm wondering about stud size difference.

should be the same. i know my pre 89 ball joints worked on my 91 knuckles. maybe you have jk/wj ball joints.

Ball joints--upper and lower--are 1984 to 2001.

Got any pictures? I don't know how it wouldn't fit.

Got any pictures? I don't know how it wouldn't fit.

Sorry no pics yet. It seems to be the upper ball joint that doesn't work. I just took some measurements and the new ones shaft is 2" long the one still on my xj is only 1 3/4" long. The tapper doesn't match the tappered hole in my steering knuckle either that's why it won't fit. There is about a 16th of an inch difference. I'm wondering if the ball joints were for a tj, yj, wj or jk with a hp d30

Well the TJ never had an HP d30 (it had an LP one) and HP vs LP doesn't matter for balljoints or steering parts, so you can cross that off. Also, the WJ upper balljoint is the same as the XJ/YJ/TJ one AFAIK, it's the lower that is different, so that's not it.

The taper being wrong is the part that worries me, that's rather odd. Does the passenger knuckle have a single steering arm on it, or are there two steering arms on it?

Well the TJ never had an HP d30 (it had an LP one) and HP vs LP doesn't matter for balljoints or steering parts, so you can cross that off. Also, the WJ upper balljoint is the same as the XJ/YJ/TJ one AFAIK, it's the lower that is different, so that's not it.

The taper being wrong is the part that worries me, that's rather odd. Does the passenger knuckle have a single steering arm on it, or are there two steering arms on it?

Thanks for clearing that up :) it only has one steering arm. I just took some pics ill try and upload them

Mine
null.jpg

New stuff
null-2.jpg

Look how much longer it is and it's not even on all the way but that's as far as it will go
null-1.jpg

Can you do some closeups of where the taper goes into and comes out of the knuckle in that last pic? basically from above and below.

Have you tried pushing up harder? The upper balljoint is just a locating pin on XJ axles, it isn't an actual ball. The stud will slide in and out of the balljoint socket a bit without issue.

Something is wrong. There should be no need to
force it; my guess is that the ball joints are for the
wrong application.

is there enough thread on the top balljoint exposed to tighten it to the taper and have the cotter pin through the nut?

is there enough thread on the top balljoint exposed to tighten it to the taper and have the cotter pin through the nut?

In the third pic. It shows how far I can get the knuckle on. When I put the castle nut on with it like this the nut spins way past the cotter pin hole. So it's way to long or needs to be pushed up but I tried that and it didn't seem to move

Back