• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Help

DaveS98

NAXJA Forum User
So..I derp'd and failed to realize that when I bought the jeep it didnt have an electric fan. I just noticed it was missing the mech fan shroud.

SO after 6 months of use with no elec fan I was out on the trail, opened the hood to have a look at my power steering fluid levels and a buddy asked where my elec fan was.. Never runs over 210..but Im sure it will when GA heat sets in.

Picked one up yesterday off a 97 that a local dude was parting out, dude seemed honest and said it worked fine.

Get it home, mount it, plug in the harness, cut on the AC..nothing.

Where should I start? I know there is a relay but where?
Ultimately id like to wire it to a switch, but I wanna make sure the fan works in the first place.
I have 0 electrical tools other than splicer.

Any ideas?

You can start by listing the year and specs.

Those year XJ's run the fan during higher high side pressures.

Older models cycle the fan with the a/c clutch.

Here's an image of the E-Fan circuit fuse. The E-Fan relay in the PDC is identified on the inside of the PDC cover. This is an image of a 97-99 PDC, but the fuse is in the same spot for a 2000.

The E-Fan relay control coil fuse is shown in this pimage of the JB.

The E-Fan is grounded (G106) at the left inner fender, near the PCM.

This is an image of the E-Fan relay socket. Power from the 40 Amp fuse in the PDC is at pin cavity 30. Power from pin cavity 30 is transferred to pin cavity 87 when the relay control coil pulls the contacts closed. Pin cavity 86 is power from the fuse 10 in the JB. Pin cavity 85 is the ground control circuit from the PCM.

I thought it was on the drivers side?
Oh well.
Ill have a look at those 2 spots.

Hopefully that'll do it.
Otherwise ill just try jumping the fan to make sure it works, and if it does ill just wire it to a 3 way switch.

I thought it was on the drivers side?
Oh well.
Ill have a look at those 2 spots.

Hopefully that'll do it.
Otherwise ill just try jumping the fan to make sure it works, and if it does ill just wire it to a 3 way switch.

If you operate the fan with an on-off switch (three way?) remember to monitor the coolant temp closely (0331 head). As for AC ops I guess you'll just turn it on and let it run (?)

On your '00 the fan won't come on unless the temp hits 218ish or until the pressure on the A/C line is at a certain point. It doesn't automatically come on just because the A/C is on, so based on what you've said it sounds like your fan may be working just fine.

In order to control it via a switch without throwing a code you need to add a relay, but its fairly straight forward.

The fuse appeared fine, didn't look blown.
I will swap in a new relay tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

I didn't clean the grounds...they looked mint.

Back