• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers not working after ignition switch replacment

Squatchin89

NAXJA Forum User
OK, my wipers,blinkers,heat, and a/c all quit working at the same time. So, i replaced the ignition switch. Blinkers work now but neither the A/c and heat nor the wipers work. The blower motor worked for a minute but that was it. I checked all the fuses and there all good. My wiper motor does make a bumper sound and doesnt stop when the jeep is off so i have to pull the fuse? What else could it be?

Four major sub systems coming out of the ignition switch. Yellow, Green, Orange and *Brown*. The brown wire covers most of the items you mentioned and is a known trouble spot. EcoMike did some pretty good posts on the brown wire awhile back. He is the one who helped me sort out some issues.

If the wiper motor is making noise it is getting power, there is a switch at the motor (park switch) that gets eaten up with rust. The resistor pack (speed control) for the heater blower motor messes up and shorts out. It is also possible to have some sort of mechanical issues with the wiper motor linkages.

The blower motor, the cigar lighter, radio, windshield wipers, turn signal flasher are all on the brown wire circuit.

The plug for the ignition switch sometimes melts at the brown wire and/or the spade connector overheats and relaxes and makes poor contact. It usually gets hot and you can actually feel the heat with a finger tip. You can even blister a finger tip. There is also a splice where the single brown wire coming out of the ignition switch branches off to the other stuff. Any wire/connector that melts down, discolors, turns black or overheats is turning voltage/amps into heat and you are loosing some power. And like I mentioned the spade connector (the metal contacts inside the plastic connector) get hot and it relaxes and looses it's springiness, which causes a poor contact.

Something likely caused the ignition switch and/or the brown wire at the connector to overheat, a stuck wiper motor or something else, so replacing the ignition switch may not cure the cause.

The wiper motor doesn't have a fuse, it has a circuit breaker, a little metal rectangular box thingy in the fuse block. It overheats and cycles off until it cools, then does it again and again every time it automatically resets and then overheats again..

YEAR?

Four major sub systems coming out of the ignition switch. Yellow, Green, Orange and *Brown*. The brown wire covers most of the items you mentioned and is a known trouble spot. EcoMike did some pretty good posts on the brown wire awhile back. He is the one who helped me sort out some issues.

If the wiper motor is making noise it is getting power, there is a switch at the motor (park switch) that gets eaten up with rust. The resistor pack (speed control) for the heater blower motor messes up and shorts out. It is also possible to have some sort of mechanical issues with the wiper motor linkages.

The blower motor, the cigar lighter, radio, windshield wipers, turn signal flasher are all on the brown wire circuit.

The plug for the ignition switch sometimes melts at the brown wire and/or the spade connector overheats and relaxes and makes poor contact. It usually gets hot and you can actually feel the heat with a finger tip. You can even blister a finger tip. There is also a splice where the single brown wire coming out of the ignition switch branches off to the other stuff. Any wire/connector that melts down, discolors, turns black or overheats is turning voltage/amps into heat and you are loosing some power. And like I mentioned the spade connector (the metal contacts inside the plastic connector) get hot and it relaxes and looses it's springiness, which causes a poor contact.

Something likely caused the ignition switch and/or the brown wire at the connector to overheat, a stuck wiper motor or something else, so replacing the ignition switch may not cure the cause.

The wiper motor doesn't have a fuse, it has a circuit breaker, a little metal rectangular box thingy in the fuse block. It overheats and cycles off until it cools, then does it again and again every time it automatically resets and then overheats again..

Great write up 8MUD, we should bet Cruiser54 to add this to his Renix write up package!!

I think one of the causes is water in the AC evaporator not draining and shorting out the resistor network, and corrosion mixed with heat cycling too. Also the blower fan switch on the HVAC system gets old, weak contact and burns out, both can take out the brown wire and the ignition switch. Lastly the fuse holder is only 25 amps, and they get corroded and weak...

I finally rewired my 85 and 87 with 10 ga wires, a 30 amp toggle switch (by passed the ignition switch), and used a HD 30 amp breaker. I have also installed a $36 (amazon) relay wiring harness under the hood that by passes the ignition switch and the head light switch for the head light power.

Sounds like the ignition switch has not been properly adjusted.

Great write up 8MUD, we should bet Cruiser54 to add this to his Renix write up package!!

I think one of the causes is water in the AC evaporator not draining and shorting out the resistor network, and corrosion mixed with heat cycling too. Also the blower fan switch on the HVAC system gets old, weak contact and burns out, both can take out the brown wire and the ignition switch. Lastly the fuse holder is only 25 amps, and they get corroded and weak...

I finally rewired my 85 and 87 with 10 ga wires, a 30 amp toggle switch (by passed the ignition switch), and used a HD 30 amp breaker. I have also installed a $36 (amazon) relay wiring harness under the hood that by passes the ignition switch and the head light switch for the head light power.

Thanks. Saved. will be modified a bit and photo added in the future as time permits.

Back