• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another NSS Question

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've read and understand the normal NSS problems and solutions. Here's my issue.

The regular, wont start regularly in Park. Inconsistent reverse lights.

The difference for me is I was in a spot when putting this 1998 Cherokee on the road, needed it fast and HAD to allow my mechanic to replace the NSS in order for it to pass safety. Not a big deal, he's a mechanic I trust, although I could have done without the extra $400 or so to pass the safety, but what's done is done.

That was only 2 years ago. In my humble opinion, I shouldn't be at the stage of removing the NSS for a thorough cleaning already. My daughter drives it now, it's pavement only. I have no doubt that the mechanic actually changed it and didn't hose me, as I said, I trust him and he's been with me a long time.

Is there any other adjustment I can make? As it stands the xj almost always will start in neutral, but occasionally wont, in that case you have to hold the key turned at the same time moving the shifter slowly out of park a bit and it turns over then. If it was just me driving I wouldn't even ask, and I've explained to her that it's a theft deterrent system. But I came to my heroes at NAXJA like I always do first for solutions. Thanks in advance.

Anything other than the small amount allowed by the installation bolt?

Thanks cruiser, I'll look into it further, any ideas as to why all of a sudden? It's been fine for 3 years, why would it need adjusting?

Its probably gummed up and needs a cleaning. If its tight the adjustment should not change.
That is one reason when considering the cost of replacement parts if a lifetime replace is available. Most of the parts out there are only mediocre in quality at best. So a lifetime warranty in needed to protect yourself. A NSS varies in cost from 50-300 bucks so its not an item I want to purchase a second time. So 175 from Advance with a lifetime warranty (receipt saved and copied then put where I can find it) is fair.

Ron

I paid $25 for my new NSS on my 87 and 89.

Back