• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

compression test results

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
looking for some feedback to see if this is good or bad. first time ive done a compression check in the 8 years ive had it.
I just pulled one plug at a time, disconnected the coil, and had the GF crank it over while i checked compression . I didnt warm it up though, does that matter? I also didnt open the TB wide open, but i think thats for leak down?

starting at the front of the engine Dry:

I know that they should be in thre 120-160 range and they shouldnt be greater than 30 psi across the range so I think am good to go.

another question: If I let it warm up and get wet, will compression go up or go down?

i plan on some sea foam through the intake and some MMO in the oil.

Remove all plugs from a warm engine. Unplug the CPS. With throttle wide open, crank engine over about 4 times. Add some oil to the cylinder and repeat.

But, I wouldn't be concerned with the readings you got anyway.

thanks cruiser. Ill probably try it again soon then. I was only worried since a fellow jeeper is at 170 across all 6, but I have been reading that 120-150 across all 6 is pretty normal.

You're fine. Find something more worthwhile to stress over.

Haha lol. thanks. i already did. Im going to plate the steering box area some more, its creaking like crazy all the time these days.

I had similar readings about 5 years ago on my 87. It still runs fine, better than ever since I bought it at 224,000 miles, now 289,000. I think it hurts MPGs and max power some.

Back