• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CKP/CMP Q&A

WTFistheI-net

NAXJA Forum User
Hello from the FNG with an FNG question!

I am a bit new to the Jeep ownership thing but not to wrenching so I'll try to keep this on specific topic.

I just bought a 1990 Cherokee auto/4wd 4.0l day before yesterday, it ran great - very smooth, started great as well. I wanted to do a coolant flush but before I did I pressure washed the engine, engine bay and undercarriage as it was caked in oil and dirt. The rig is BONE stock just leaks oil perfusely.
After pressure washing I started the rig and all was well, began and completed coolant flush, shut rig off, replaced t-stat and re filled with coolant about 15mins. time, attempted to start rig and bring to temp to find no start.
Checked fuel and all is well across the board, checked spark and coil energizes thus sending spark to distributor, herein lies my fault and confusion, no spark out of distributor, visual inspection leaves no worry. I researched many forums, topics and google searches to be led down paths of loose/bad grounds, ASD relays, CMP/CKP sensor issues. I no longer have power on my supply and signal wire for my CMP which I checked previous to forum skimming. All related articles state specifically over and over that I basically shouldn't have any spark anywhere if CKP, CMP or ASD are my fault.

Can someone please enlighten me before I jump into the diagnostic whirlpool. Thanks

You don't have an ASD relay since you have a RENIX - it should have a B+ latch relay.

To clarify, CMP = cam position sensor? CKP = crank position sensor? People use the wrong terms for these all the time so I want to make sure we're on the same page.

Did you get water in the distributor? Might just need to dry it out.

CMP = Cam, CKP = Crank is correct, that is how they are referred to on the diesel mechanics side and that's what I'm more used to.

Does the B+ latch relay perform the same function as an ASD?

I blew any condensation out of the distributor but had no resolution.

Back