• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

superceded harmonic balancer question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal I bought an oem balancer from my jeep dealer and know all about the recommendation to remove the oil slinger on my 89

My question is if the slingers sole purpose is to keep excess oil off the front crank seal is there an updated seal that I should buy to replace the old one?

I mean jeep saw fit to engineer that slinger in the 4.0 for a reason right???
I always thought it was to sling oil onto the timing set but it seems like the conscensus is that it's there to keep the front main seal from leaking due to excess oil.
I mean how can they supercede the balancer then recommend removal of the oil slinger and not offer an updated seal???

I'm tempted to take my balancer to the machine shop and have it machined down and keep the slinger....anyone been down this road???

Will the slingers thickness really cause the belt to throw???

This engine was developed by AMC engineers. The older blocks held the camshaft from moving with a small pin and spring. Newer blocks actually use a thrust plate to hold it in place. There is a lot of oddness in the timing chain and oil seal setup. :p

The chain does a really good job of slinging oil on its own. Replacement seals do appear to be of a newer design being slightly thicker, but of course they all use the same old part number.

The thickness of the oil slinger should cause an issue for the belt. I accidentally installed a power steering pump 1/8" off once and never had an issue.

There is a TSB or something about removing the slinger with a new dealer balancer. From what I have seen its only the OEM balancers. I don't think its an issue if its on or off. I doubt the .010" would have enough effect on the belt alignment to cause a problem.

There is a TSB or something about removing the slinger with a new dealer balancer. From what I have seen its only the OEM balancers. I don't think its an issue if its on or off. I doubt the .010" would have enough effect on the belt alignment to cause a problem.

Just measured one. It's .030".

Should i be alright leaving the slinger in there then?I havent seen definate proof as to its purpose either way and if it does aid in slinging oil onto the timing set im inclined to keep it.
.03 doesnt seem like it would cause belt alignment issues due to balancer sticking out too far???
I really dont want to pay a machine shop to mill this balancer down....(thinking out loud)

I have an 87 and replaced my HB two years ago, about 10,000 miles. I did not remove the slinger. Belt was replaced at same time: no leaks, no belt
problem. I debated removing the slinger, but I believe 5-90 stated he had replaced HB's and left the slinger in with no problems.:wave1:

To the above:did you use a oem jeep balancer or one from the parts store???
I need a new timing chain and will be replacing that this weekend....still can't decide if I want to leave the slinger in or remove it while I have the timing cover off....I still kinda believe that it aids in oiling the chain....

Last edited:
To the above:did you use a oem jeep balancer or one from the parts store???
I need a new timing chain and will be replacing that this weekend....still can't decide if I want to leave the slinger in or remove it while I have the timing cover off....I still kinda believe that it aids in oiling the chain....

It doesn't aid in oiling the chain. The chain's oil comes from that nasty looking cast hole in the block ABOVE it. It's there to "sling" oil away from the timing cover seal.

I'm leaning towards leaving it out and praying the seal doesn't leak

what year did cryco go to a cam retainer instead of the pin and spring,
and what year did they do away with the oil slinger?

They got the retaining plate in 99. I don't know what year they did away with the slinger, my 2000 had one.

The chain is also oiled from a hole in the cam gear as well as oil coming off the front cam bearing.

The HB I used was from RockAuto, not OEM. Can't recall how I picked the one I ordered. I know it was the cheapest one and cost about $38 IIRC.

Removal of the slinger only applies to OEM balancers....parts store balancers are correct length and don't require removal of the slinger....that's why you didn't have belt alignment problems

I wish someone would take a timing cover and cut a window in it and silicone a plexiglass window on it to see exactly what goes on in there to put the debate to bed for good....I know classic car guys have debated the purpose over and over since the late 60s
Half of them say to keep the seal from leaking and the other half say it aids in oiling the chain.....stating that some motors had slingers from the factory and some didnt...

I know there are some AMC engineers still breathing out there.....dispell the myth!!!!!!

Last edited:
Removal of the slinger only applies to OEM balancers....
Correct.

Half of them say to keep the seal from leaking and the other half say it aids in oiling the chain.
I have heard that it keeps the seal from leaking. My theory is that it was necessary with earlier seals of lesser quality. Now we have much better seals that hold the oil in, so a slinger isn't necessary.

No myth to it. The oil slinger's purpose is to sling oil away from the seal to prevent seepage.
Back in the day, the front seal was a packing, not a lip seal. It was made of wax coated cotton rope that one would pack into the groove of the timing cover. It would leak if exposed to a lot of oil, Hence the reason for, and the so named "oil slinger"
As to removing it... bah.. leave it. .030" is nothing.

Back