• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone work in the natural gas industry?

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a career change and have been exploring the natural gas industry as a potential growth sector in the coming years. I'm most interested in natural gas conversions of vehicles, as well as residential CNG filling stations, but interested in the broader industry as well.

I would like to talk to anyone involved in this industry and hear what the likes and dislikes are, as well as potential for growth, etc. I'm not looking to move out of SoCal so that's why I posted in the chapter forum and I am looking to get in on the management side of the business.

Please feel free to post up or PM me if you have any insight on this topic.

(I'm expecting half of the responses to this to be some sort of natural gas fart joke)

I'm going to school to be a Marine Engineer/Plant Engineer and in recent years, the amount of LNG ships has increased immensely. The future looks good for NG, atleast for powerplants/shipping wise. I'm sure vehicles will make the transition but the only question is how fast will it transistion, and how full will the transition be? That's what I would look into. There is definitely a market for it in the industrial world, so it may go over into the public sector.

I am currently in the Natural Gas industry. For the past 37 years, I have witnessed, tasted, created, and smelled it all.

On the average 1 person in 7 will expend about a liter of intestinal gas per day. Since natural gas in the US is sold by the cubic foot, for comparison, we need to convert the output of intestinal gas to cubic feet. Using the assumption that 1/7 of the population expels 1 liter of intestinal gas per day that would equal about 1.5 million cubic feet of gas per day, or 550 million cubic feet per year.

The natural gas provided by The Gas Company has no odor when extracted from the gas wells. They have to spend money to add a smell.

On the other hand, intestinal gas is usually quite rich in sulfur dioxide. Parts of the population generate more gas than others. The local bars and retirement centers are two prime candidates for gas collection points. To increase the collected volume make sure they serve large quantities of beer, eggs, onions, and beans.

Once the collection equipment is in place there will be no expense. No wells to sink, no speculation wells that have no gas. Just meter your collection into the Gas Company's lines at the various locations, and bill the Gas Company.
Eat my air poop.

I work for SoCal Gas construction/distribution side. SoCal Gas is a great company to work for. Pay is awesome as well as retirement and healthcare. You have to be a part time meter reader to get in or submit a letter of interest with a resume but you obviously need background in the Natural Gas Industry. HTH

Contact my buddy Hank @ Strickland Propane..

(912) 748-4422

attachment.php

I believe natural gas will be a growth industry for the next decade or more. I would consider working in that industry if the retirement is PERS because it is a utility. Anyone know if this is the case?

I believe natural gas will be a growth industry for the next decade or more. I would consider working in that industry if the retirement is PERS because it is a utility. Anyone know if this is the case?

John, what is PERS?

Problem with NG is that it still has to be drilled. Obama voters and tree huggers all want to stop this. Getting pass this is as climbing Everest. If voters do not vote for us to be self sufficient it will not happen! So as for now being in a fuel consumption industry I say Hybrids are the future. Small liter engines to battery powered take over. CNG for trucks SUCKS in H.P. so Diesel will be around for a while for semi's but street 4 wheelers (not the off road kind but included) will have to due. Unless I figure out the hydrogen fuel system!

Back